35.1 - Night Swimming

Gio

Hawaii is so unbelievably gorgeous. I feel like I'm in a dream world half the time.

The golden hour of evening is just setting in, casting long, lazy silhouettes of us onto the pavement. My hand cups the curve of Bella's lower back as we walk up the grand stairs to the lobby of the exclusive resort to collect our tickets. Soon, tendrils of her brown curled hair are whipping behind her in the soft breeze as the golf cart shuttle winds us through the hibiscus hedges and out to our event.

I wrap my arm around her, looking down at the long slit of her sexy white backless dress that has been blown back, exposing her tanned upper thigh. Mmm. I squeeze her shoulder. Her eyes follow up my torso, and she undoes another button on the new short-sleeved dress shirt she bought me with a pattern of dark green leaves and white flowers. She smiles at me brightly, and it lights me up inside.

"This isn't real, Lauren," I say, looking out towards the ocean. "I'm going to wake up, and this will all be a dream. You'll still be married and living in New York."

She smiles, taking my hand. "It's not a dream...unless we're both having it. I feel... I feel like this is exactly where we are supposed to be."

Her mom bought us tickets to this fancy Lu'au tonight. And what a fantastic present it is! I feel like she's finally warming up to me and Lauren being together again. The cart pulls up to a stop at a hedged-in area with a fantastic view of the brilliant pink clouds of sunset, slowly fading into a deep dusky purple over the ocean. Taking Bella's hand, I help her exit the cart, and we each bow our heads to receive a fragrant plumeria lei from an attendant while another holds out a tray of Mai Tais. In the last few months, I've stopped drinking again altogether, but for events like this, I'll make an exception. We each take one, walking out into the garden event and the silken warmth of the night.

While the tiki torches flicker, we fill our plates at the buffet before the show begins. Pulling Bella's chair out for her, I let my hand skim lightly over her silky dress as she turns to sit. Then I take my seat next to her, drawing it closer and letting my leg lean against hers. I melt into the warm tingle of even that little contact.

Eager for more, I move my hand onto her bare thigh and dip my fingers under the light fabric. "I'm totally addicted to you right now," I whisper in her ear, then nuzzle her soft neck. "I can't stop kissing and touching you."

"Me too," she responds low, running her hand along the inside of my leg, sending a rush of prickles all over my skin. Everything feels so fucking good tonight!

Taking another sip of my drink, my eyes dance playfully with hers, the skin of her face flicking bronze and black in the warm torchlight. Look at her! She's the most beautiful woman here. How the fuck did I get so lucky?

Irrationally, I hope this trip never ends... that this could be my reality forever.

The event MC gets up on the stage and welcomes us to the evening, announcing the first act. He steps to the side, and the hula dancers run up on stage and take their place. Bella sets a bowl in front of me.

"Have you ever tried this?" she whispers to me. "I see you didn't grab any."

"No, looks like muddy baby food."

"Try it," she encourages. I squinch my eyes at her, knowing that this particular smile of hers means something's up. But I give into her subtle pressure and put a spoonful in my mouth.

"Ehhug!" I grimace in disgust, moving my jaw around, unable to cleanse it from my tongue. "Why would you ever eat that?"

She laughs at my lingering expression. "It's Poi and a local favorite. It's an acquired taste."