Four

Venus and I were led onto the train together, left inside of a extravagant train cart. We are seated at a crystal dining room table and there is more food in front of me than I have ever seen at one time. 

   Finnick and Maggs are seated across from us, Finnick's gaze not wondering away from me. Ollie Hope is the only one a few feet from us, in a round velvet chair. Awkward silence falls upon us. Venus in a stone like state of anger, Maggs anticipating the unspoken words between Finnick and I, and then theres us. The words we haven't spoken in months, swirling in our minds, leaving an awful taste on my tongue. Half of me wants to jump into his arms, have him hold me and love me in my final days, the other half hates him for abandoning me when I needed him most. 

     Finnick finally speaks up and my heart skips a beat, "Ivy," he places some grapes from the center table on a small plate, "You should eat." 

   I scoff, "You should eat? That's the best you've got?"

 "Ivy, listen-"

 "No! You listen to me Finnick. I begged for you for weeks! I've been alone, do you know how that feels? To be abandon by the person you would give everything for?" I am standing now, hot tears on my face. My hands are shaking with anger and I want nothing more than to throw something at him. 

     Finnick looks taken back, clearly didn't expect me to shout at him. He holds the plate of grapes, placing them in front of me gently. He swallows deeply, then excuses himself and walks into the hall to another train car. 

  "Forbidden love! I can work with this!" Ollie Hope is on his feet, clapping his hands together happily. 

  I give him the finger before stomping down the train until handing upon an empty cart. 

    A soft knock pulls me from my daydreaming while looking out the back window. I turn to see Venus, "I can leave if you want."

  "You're fine," I shrug, scooting across the long chair, allowing him a seat.

  "I used to see the two of you, down by the docks in the dead of night," He smiles, "My baby sister thought you two were mermaids crawling from the sea."

  I laugh, "Mermaids? Really?"

 He joins in on my laughter, "She had a wild imagination."

  As our laughter dies down he looks at me more stern, "Look I just want to make it home, like every other tribute. I came back here to ask if you wanted to look out for eachother, until closer to the end."

  "You mean allies?"

  "Yeah," He shrugs, "I've seen you make nets and fish with knifes, I know you're good. I'm strong and can throw spears. It would be better than being alone."

 I think about it, the possibility of not being alone during my time in the games, "Okay, allies it is."

   Hours later, I have been shaved, waxed, and washed by the stylists. It did not take me long to realize that Venus and I were about to be treated as Finnick had, as both of our outfits combined would still be too little for me on a normal day. 

   However, I am going to use everything they throw at me to my advantage. Snow wants to play games? Let's play then. 

  Standing side by side, Venus and I whisper while waiting on our horses to begin pulling the carriage. I tell him my plan, "Clearly they want us to play flirty, I mean we aren't even wearing clothes."

  His eyes wonder over my body, wrapped in loose bronze netting and sparkling sea shells. Not much is left to be imagined on either of us. "I need you to be all over me out there," I tell him.

  Venus looks shocked, then a flash of worry, "I'd rather my mentor not hate me."

  I glance to Finnick, who is glaring from the corner, "Trust me, I have a plan."

 Our carriage shifts and the horses begin to pull us forward. Venus looks over at me, his worry changing into a grin. The crowd roars, and begins throwing flowers at us. Venus catches one of the roses, brushing my hair back and placing it in my ear. I can hear the crowd screaming loudly, just then Venus grabs me with one strong arm and dips my body back, placing a kiss on my cheek and smirking back up at the crowd. 

   Cheers from all over, when I look up we are on the big screen. Just as we pull to the end where President Snow welcomes us, I meet the old man's eyes and they harden. 

 Let the games begin.