Fourteen

Today is unlike the other reaping days. All around people are looking to Finnick, Annie, Maggs, and I. The children that would usually be terrified have a soft look of grace over them, for they are safe today. Parents are relieved, they don't show it, but they are happy to have their kids home with them, safe for another year. I cannot blame them, if I were on their side I would be relived too. Instead I am at my fifth reaping, one that never should have come. 

   Instead of the knee length, lacy and flowing dresses I once wore onto this stage, I wear a tight black dress. I look like I am attending a funeral, but in a sense I am. I make sure to take one last look around District Four, the waves rolling in close enough that I can hear them, the smell of sea salt dancing in the air. Today a cool breeze has fallen over and clouds are in the sky instead of the warm sun. I feel like the weather today. 

   Finnick is in a pair of shorts he purchased in the capital months ago. We have not been called back since the announcement of the Quater Quill. I would guess that Snow is catching us a break in our last few months together, but I don't believe him to be so kind. This morning we said goodbye to Maggs and Annie. I visited Venus's grave for a final time, leaving little yellow dandelions next to the stone. I stopped by his parent's house, I wanted to say goodbye, but instead left a basket upon their steps with food and money inside. They deserve it more than I will need it again. 

  Ollie Hope is between Finnick and I. Maggs and Annie to my left, awaiting our names to be called. No matter whose name is drawn from that bowl, I am the one going back to the arena. Ollie gives me a smile, but this time it feels different, like he may actually be sad to see us go. He plucks one of the three slips and walks back to the mic, he calls, "Annie Cresta."

   She shrieks, although I have tried to explain to her many times that I would never allow her to go back in. Maggs grabs my arm, attempting to hold me back and move forward herself, but for the first time I resist her. "I volunteer," I call out, making my way from the side stage to the middle.

   Finnick and I are two different people today. He is a lot better at lying and hiding his emotions than I am. I do not cry, do not show fear, but my anger is not masked. As Finnick's name is drawn from being the only slip in his bowl, he smiles, winks at the camera, then moves next to me. He kisses me on the cheek, then waves at the camera some more.

   Ollie Hope looks between us, motioning clapping and says, "I present to you, your tributes from District Four!"

   This is it. Were going back.

     The train ride is short, I guess after taking it so many times I've gotten used to the time. Finnick and I sit in the back of the train, him holding me over his lap, stroking my hair. "Do you think this is because of her? Katniss and bread boy?"

   Finnick snorts, "Peeta," then he sighs, "I think nothing that defies Snow gets a happily ever after."

  I nod, knowing what he means. "It is different you know? I've seen more fights with workers and peacekeepers lately." My brow furrows as a though crosses my mind, "Don't you find it odd that we haven't been called to the capital in months?"

  "Maybe Snow didn't want to take any chances this close to the games?"

  I nod again, but it turns into my head shaking, "I don't think so, not exactly anyway."

  Finnick wraps his arms around me tighter and places a kiss on my head. We lay together, waiting to arrive for the last time.