Seventeen

A/N I promise I am just trying to get us to the games, I feel like that is where the story has the most progression. -C

TW TW TW TW TW -This chapter contains mentions of child loss (more than normal for THG series)

      Its odd, being on this side again. The long outstretched hall, filled with tributes, most older than I am now. Gloss is on stage now, crying to Ceaser along side his sister, Cashmere. Everyone seems to be trying their best to stop the games, deep down I know it is a hopeless act, no amount of sympathy will strike them to call off the games. However, I cant help but have the glimpse of hope that they will be called off, that Finnick and I will go home, get married, live a happy life together. 

   Finnick reaches a thick arm around me, pulling me against his bare chest. The cutouts in my dress allow our skin to touch and the heat from his chest comforts me. He leans in close to my ear, "Give them what they want," a gentle kiss, "-and what they don't."

   Nothing that Snow doesn't want to happen would ever happen. I know that. Finnick knows that. Yet, when I began getting sick at the sight of raw fish the both of us had a pang of excitement alongside the fear. 

  Our thoughts confirmed within our next trip to the capital, farther along than I originally thought, but within a time span that we were home. Finnick and I are usually careful, but sometimes when we are down on the beach in the early morning light, we aren't as careful as we had thought. 

    We loved the unborn child and although fear coursed through our veins over Snow's reaction, we never expected him to take away the child we loved but never met. 

   Snow was notified almost instantly by the doctor who did the exam, or so we suspect. When Finnick and I returned from our long night out, to come back together in the early morning sunrise we had food awaiting at the table. This was not new, sometimes when we entertained special guests Snow would leave us a nice breakfast.

  It wasn't until hours later, when the bleeding began that we pieced it together, Snow had spiked the food. The baby was gone before ever being met. 

     "Next we have a capital favorite, someone we could never forget, Ivy Dagon!"

   I smile wide, swaying my hips as I walk onto the stage. Finnick's words swirling around my mind, Give them what they want and what they don't. I reach Ceaser and wrap him in a hug, he acts shocked for a man who has paid to undress me.

   When I pull away I watch his eyes scan me, moving along every part of my exposed skin, which is a lot with all the cutouts in this dress. "Ivy, tell me, how do you feel about being here tonight?" 

  "I've been in the capital under better circumstances," I laugh as if it is a light joke. 

  Laughter erupts around us, "Yes, yes, you have," he coughs, "So tell me, how are you handling Finnick being here alongside you?"

   "We're not the only lovers here," I say, being sure to look into his eyes, "I will not be the only one dying in the hopes of keeping the one I love alive, I just hope that he can find it in himself to live on after, I know I never could."

  Ceaser looks like he may cry, "Of course."

  Finnick's words itching my brain, crawling on my skin, Tell them what they don't want to hear. The words I overheard Johanna say to Katniss, make them pay for it. I will make them pay for it, I'll make him pay for it. 

  "Actually Ceaser, I do have something I want to say," I reach for the mic. 

 Ceaser looks taken back, but allows me to take it from him, "You put Finnick into the arena, my Finny. You killed our families, threw me into the arena, took our dignity, our hope, our unborn child, but you President Snow will not have my compliance. Fuck The Hunger Games! And Everything They Have Stolen From Me!"

   I shove the mic back into Ceaser's hand and storm onto the above stage where the victor's who have been interviewed are standing. The crowd is a mix of shocked silence and screams. I don't notice I am crying until Beetee grabs my hand, giving it a squeeze.

    Finnick's eyes are glassy before his speech begins, he does not continue or add onto my words, instead he says, "To my love, All eternity. When I die in that arena, my last thoughts will be of your lips, upon mine. There is no me without you and I will not be leaving that arena. We will die in eachother's arms, forever and always our own home."

    Many people are crying now, I even think the careers have shed a tear or two, not only for themselves, but for us. For Finnick and I. For Katniss and Peeta. For the lovers who will never be allowed to love.

  By the time Peeta finishes his interview, the most shocking of them all, and we are all above the stage holding hands, that I realize we have done something tonight. As the lights shut off it hits me, we made him even more angry, and I smile at the thought.