Nineteen

Sweat pours into my eyes. My hair is soaked, the loose strands from my ponytail pressed against my forehead. After the hour or so of running we have done, my leg is on fire. The nerves that used to flare up often are burning up my hip. The minimal vision, which normally does not bother me, has caused me to struggle with the depth of the path in some places. We haven't ran into anyone else yet, but we also haven't ran into anything else. No water, no change of scene, nothing new at all. I'd kill for something ne-

    BOOM

      I hit the ground before I realize what has happened. Peeta landed on my leg, the smell of burning flesh drifts up my nostrils. I take it back, I want nothing new, give me back the sweating and slicing through brush. 

  "PEETA"

     "IVY"

  "Fuck," I raise my head from the ground slowly. The pain begins in my hip and pushes down my knee, falling over my ankle. 

   "He's not breathing!" Katniss screams over his body.

 I look to her, then to him, his body still limp on my leg. I raise up, using my entire body to push him off me. I lift myself over him, placing all pressure onto my left leg.

  I begin pushing on his chest, the same pace taught to all of us in our younger years at school, just incase we witness a drowning. I pause twice after thirty compressions, checking for a pulse with each pause. When I begin again Peeta's eyes fly open and he gasps, grabbing my arm forcefully. 

  I am pulled away from him by Finnick, as Katniss grabs Peeta, falling onto him and placing a kiss. She cries over and over, "You were dead," as she holds him.

  Finnick holds me against his chest, it rises and falls quickly. "She was going to shoot you," he whispers against my ear. 

  "I'd like to think I would have done the same for you," I press my lips to his. 

  As we pull apart I look to Katniss, still cradling Peeta like an infant in her arms. 

   I think that is when I realized that the 'act' between the star crossed lovers from twelve may not be so much of an act.

    We set up camp, deciding the force field being behind us was probably best coverage. Finnick is sitting against a tree, my head is in his lap and he runs his hand over my back. Katniss and Peeta sit a few feet away, against a tree, whispering to one another. 

     Walking the few feet to our campsite was hell. The leg pain which had been mostly subsided for years is back full force. It is mostly in my knee, I'm sure some damage was done when Peeta landed on me. 

  Soft beeps fill the air, familiar beeps, a parachute. My head snaps towards the two falling boxes. Katniss stands and when I go to do the same Finnick places a hand on my shoulder, standing instead. 

   A vile, a small medal device used to pull liquid from trees, from Haymitch. The other parachute held wrapping and a note instructing on how to brace my knee from Maggs. I smile at the note, I miss her so much, she has been family to me for years. 

  Once everyone has had enough drinks of water, Finnick begins wrapping my knee. "They hate us," I whisper to Finnick.

   "No," He tightens the wrap, "They don't trust us."

  I look over to the two, watching them still glances at us too, "We need them to trust us."

 "Do you trust them?" 

    "No, Finny I don't," I pause, "But I want to."

     I snuggle into Finnick, listening to the soft beats of his heart as I let my heavy eyes fall shut. 

    "GET UP NOW!"

         "THE FOG IS POISON!"