Twenty

"THE FOG IS POISON!"

     Finnick is pulling me before my eyes are fully opened, his grip tightens around my elbow as he makes sure I am on my feet. "Hop on," he turns, allowing me onto his back. 

   There is no time to argue, the clouds of white are inching towards us. I hop onto Finnick's back and hold my arms around him tight, my heart pounding. He begins to run the second my legs are in the hold of his arms. The fog follows us swiftly, I turn to watch it approach us a few times before Peeta lets out a cry of pain. His prosthetic leg not keeping up with the pace we must take. 

  "I can't carry him!" Katniss cries.

   I push off of Finnick, making my way down to the ground. He faces me, a face full of worry, "Ivy, no."

   His eyes weld with tears, but I keep my fear swallowed down, "Help her," I press a kiss onto his lips, "or it's all for nothing." 

 If Peeta dies Katniss will not keep going, she may not know it, but she is in love with him. I know Finnick will do anything to save me, as I would do for him, but we have to put our love aside. The only thing that matters right now is for everyone to make it out of the fog, or at least for the starcrossed lovers to make it out. If one of us must go, it has to be me, the weakest link. I just want Finnick to make it and not feel guilty when I dont.  I allow my fingers to linger on his cheeks for a second, and then turn away, running ahead of the others, knowing I better use every second I have to stay away from the fog. 

 I am not moving as fast as I need to be and I know if Finnick sees me fall, he will follow. I dodge through the trees, stepping carefully while doing a hopping motion. I move in a jagged line, doing all that I can to stay ahead of the fog. My foot slides a few times, then I feel my leg fall hard.

  The world spins, I hit hard, again and again. It isn't until I feel my head smack onto the root of the tree. I squeeze my eyes shut, wincing against the pain. I want to stand, but I can't force my body to move, things are blurry. Cracking my eyes open again, I see the fog inching closer. 

  A tear slides down my cheek, but the fog doesn't swallow me whole, instead it stops, freezing along what seems to be an invisible wall. A mere couple feet away, up the hill I have just slid down, the fog stopped. If I had landed just one hit sooner, I'd be dead. Instead I am okay. 

   I am alive, I made it. I try to raise up again and fail, the pain shooting through me from all over. When I look down I notice the white bumps over my fingertips and have no doubt they are covering me. I didn't outrun the fog as much as I thought I had, I am not okay, I am going to die.

   My limited vision blurs, I wonder if Finnick, Katniss, and Peeta made it out. I wonder if Maggs is watching me die. I wonder if Finnick will find love again. 

     "Ivy?"

         A female voice is coming closer. My eyes wonder through a blinding bright light. Is this what death is like?

    Is this my mother? Taking me to a life beyond this one?

    "Ivy!"

      Someone is on top of me, another figure beyond them.

          My eyes feel heavy, but I am weightless. 

 "That's a lot of blood, Johanna."

     Johanna?

      Blood? I'm bleeding?

         "Is it hers?"

         Who else's would it be? Did I hurt someone in my fall?

   I believe my voice cracks or maybe I don't make a sound. My eyelids close and the voices fade away.