Eleven

To my amazement, Hyde's face lights up in the sky along with the two from seven just before I head out at dark. I suspect the two from seven must have attacked, killing Hyde, but loosing their lives to Star in the process. 

     I make my way to the cornucopia, amazed by my ability to move without being in blinding pain. Maggs has been a mentor for a long time, no doubt she knows what works. Upon reaching the edge of the open field, I see a small flicker of light coming from the center of the cornucopia. Someone is inside, risking a fire. I hold the knife to my chest, wondering if there could be anymore knifes inside, or if I will be using this singular one, taking the chance. 

  A horrific scream cuts through the trees, a flock of birds swoops from the skyline at a patch not far from me. The scream causes me to reach, gasping loudly, drawing the attention of the boy from the center just as another runs from the treeline, holes in his arms and face. The birds afrter him. 

  I take off running, but am tackled on my way to the center. Star falls on top of me, attempting to plunge the end of a machete into my face. I twist my body, rolling us on the ground, kicking until I flip her and allow myself to rise on top. I take the knife, slicing at her throat, but not cutting deep enough before she hits me hard with the end of the machete. 

  Just then, an arrow falls through her head, coming out the other side. When my head snaps to see where it came from, I see a male tribute falling to his knees. The one from the center. It's just me and one other, Eva. 

  I look to the boys camp, seeing Eva rummaging through the remaining weapons. I take the knife in hand, knowing what I must do. I charge at her, but as I throw the knife she twists her body, dodging the blade. 

   I grab the machete, willing to use anything, when large birds begin swooping down at us once again. I scream as one of them takes a bite from my shoulder. The both of us rush for the only cover around, dodging into the small inclosed space that has a few remaining supplies.

  I dodge inside first, Eva behind me. She throws the end of a medal rod, striking me in the leg as I move for a knife.  I drop the knife to the ground, only to face her and see a sword in her hand. She rises it at me, attempting to slice near my head, but missing. Then she lowers it, stabbing straight into my lower abdomen. Hot pain slices through me, I feel the blade cut into my skin, she holds the handle, still looking at me, relief in her eyes.

  With the only ounce of life I have left, I step towards her, pushing the blade farther into me and letting out a scream. She falls back, outside of the opening to the cornucopia, and the birds swoop down on her fallen body. 

   Blinding light covers my eyes as I fall to the floor. I can no longer tell if it is my own screams, or those of Eva being eaten alive. Blood is everywhere, my coat soaked as if I just climbed from an ocean stained red. 

  Once again my eyes are heavy and I have nothing left to give.