CHAPTER 20

I tensed, turning him around to me, feeling so fucking angry. For an instant, pete shrank back from the force of my fury, but then he met my gaze. he lay unmoving on his side, eyes full of anguish.

  “You aren’t a whore. Is your fucking virginity all that matters to your family?”

  “It’s not just that I’m not a virgin anymore,” he whispered. “It’s to whom I lost it to. They won’t understand. They won’t forgive. They will hate me for what I’ve done.”

  “Shouldn’t they be relieved that you didn’t suffer through pain and humiliation? You succumbed to pleasure. So what? All of them have sinned worse than that, even your brother, particularly your fiancé. What right do they have to judge you?”

  he blinked slowly. Then he surprised me by leaning forward and kissing me. A soft kiss. A soft nothing that felt like fucking everything. My brows drew together, trying to gauge his mood.

  “I’m lost, vegas.”

  I cradled his head and kissed him again before I rasped, “My note said that I ripped your innocence from you, that you fought me like a spitfire and that I enjoyed every second of breaking you.”

  he held his breath, searching my eyes. “You made it sound like you raped me.” he swallowed. “Why did you lie? Was it because it would hurt my family worse?”

  I smiled darkly. “I fear your family would have been more crushed if they knew you gave yourself to me freely.”

  “They’d hate me.”

  “Now you can decide what you tell them when I return you to them.”

  “You will?” he asked quietly.

  I drew back and sat up then turned my back to him. “You were never meant to be a captive forever.”

  His fingertips traced my tattoo. “Now that you got what you wanted from me, you’ll ask for Scuderi.” There was a strange note to his voice, but I didn’t turn around to see his face because then he would have seen mine as well.

  “Do you think they’ll still want me now that I’m ruined?”

  pete was many things, but ruined wasn’t one of them, and anyone who declared him as such was a fucking fool. “Your family loves you. They will do anything to save you, even now. Especially now.”

  I rose to my feet and left without another look at him.

  It was nearing midnight when my phone rang. I turned away from the screen where tankhun and macau were playing a racing game. Kinn and  Porsche had already retired to their room to fuck. Without looking at the screen, I knew who it was. I picked up.

  “Dante?”

  My brothers slanted me curious looks. “I got your message,” Dante gritted out. I could practically feel his fury. It wasn’t as exhilarating as I’d expected.

  “I know you don’t follow the Famiglia’s bloody sheets tradition, but I thought it was a nice touch.”

  Macau grimaced and his car crashed into the wall. Takhun had stopped playing altogether.

  There was silence on the other end. “There are rules in our world. We don’t attack children, women's and boys.”

  “Funny that you say that. When your soldiers attacked my territory, they fired at my thirteen-year-old brother. You broke those fucking rules first, so stop the bullshit.”

  Macau ’s eyes widened, and he glanced down at his tattoo.

  “You know as well as I do that I didn’t give the order to kill your brother, and he’s alive and well.”