10 : real billie.

Since returning to the room. Billie hadn't said much. I had to get ready to go join Thomas, because he had something important to tell me.

But I couldn't leave her here.

But I know she'll tell me nothing

"can I take you somewhere?"" She asked suddenly. She herself caught by surprise as she said it.

I looked at my hands and took a sigh.

"Tho-" I cut myself. Being with Billie is the most important thing. "Yeah, sure." "Where are we going?" I asked him smiling.

I grabbed my phone and texted Thomas that I couldn't make it.

"You will be once you get up there." She smiled.

I laughed nervously.

"Up there?" I repeated.

She motioned for me to follow her and I grabbed my phone to follow her down the halls. She grabbed my hand and our hands clasped, complementing each other.

And just that little gesture sent shivers down my spine. We moored along the corridor and she led me back towards the emergency doors. She let go of my hand to move the fence.

Fuck, this is  where they all go.

"Are you coming?" She held out her hand as she passed the fence. I ducked down and passed it with her help, and instead of tracing, she grabbed a ladder.

We climbed up the ladder and it surely led to the roof.

We climbed up and once we got to the top, drafts flew through my hair as I looked out at the view.

"Fuck." I said, looking up at the starry sky and the many laminated houses and landscapes.

She laughed and the sound of her laughter will haunt my mind now. 

"come and see." she said showing me a cute shack that was fully decorated. it was made of wood, and the initial 'B' was carved into the roof as if it were a superhero thing.

"You made this?" I said, smiling.

She looked at me with a smile before nodding.

"Damn billie that's really pretty and cute." i laughed and she shook her head nudging me.

"Now you know where I am all these nights." She said and I looked at her in awe.

We went inside. Blue blankets were on the floor with a small shelf, thousands of notebooks and a ukulele. there were also several white cushions and a laptop. and a blue notebook with a D caught my eye, but I didn't really pay attention when Billie handed me a sweater.

"I forgot to tell you it's going to be a little chilly." She said and I took her sweater and put it on.

"thanks billie." I said and she smiled as she sat down and I did the same.

The view was truly magnificent.

"It's really beautiful." I said and she took a breath.

"I love being able to look at the world from this height. It's like I can control everything. when I'm feeling a little... unsettled. i look at the height and it reassures me. i tell myself that maybe i'm not the only one who feels this way." She said with a sigh.

Billie may have been harsh, but I always knew there was a cause for it.

"What can upset you?" I asked, not really sure of my question.

Maybe she'd never answer.

"The way I feel. I've..." She cut herself off reflectively and took a breath. "Never mind. What do you feel?"

I was sure, but I didn't want to force it.

I looked at the view and looked at her.

"Safe." I said softly. She met my gaze and smiled.

"Compared to the scenery?" She asked me with a sly smile. I smiled.

"Compared to the landscape, I feel... unique. It's like I'm looking at the world, like I'm the only survivor of a war." She laughed. "No, really, it's soothing."

she nodded at his.

"Soothing is what I feel too." she said softly. "and safe too "She smiled at me and I rolled my eyes as she laughed.

I felt her hand move closer to mine, but she hesitated. I watched her hand pull back. I want to know this Billie forever.

she's so much more adorable and cute and really sweet.

I caught her hand and intertwined our fingers She saw our hands come together and her cheeks flushed. I walked over to her and put my head on her shoulder.

"billie from school would have killed me for doing that." I laughed.

She stroked my thumb with her index finger and I sighed.

"But the real Billie's been dreaming about it for a long time."

And everything inside me turned upside down. My heart started beating faster and butterflies flew through me.

Billie had already thought about me, had already thought about having this moment with me.

"Why were you so mean if that's what you wanted?" I asked. "Billie, I worry about you sometimes."

Billie had always been a person who scared me a little, but she always worried me.

"You shouldn't. Have I hurt you and said mean things to you? I'm horrible, Dahlia." She said with a resentment against her that I was hurting my heart.

"Billie, why would you say that? You're nothing of the sort, I assure you." I said and she stared out over the city. "Today you proved to me that you're a beautiful friend and that you're worth more than anything."

she had a few seconds of silence as if reflecting on her actions.

"I was afraid you'd know all about me. I'm not very cheerful or as confident as I seem. I'm not that tough, mean Billie who's afraid of nothing. I'm afraid of a lot of things. i have a lot of problems, and some of them always surface sometimes. and i want you to know all that." she looked me in the eye. "But promise me you won't leave." she said sadly.

"Billie, I'll never leave. I promise."

she took a long breath and let go of my hand. at first hesitant she rolled up her sleeve and i looked confused.

no. Fuck no. I looked down at her arm and tears threatened to fall.

"Now, Dahlia, you know the real Billie." She gave me a sad little smile, tears in her eyes.