Jack: Monday, August 1st

Another school year, another round of excruciating academic turmoil. I wake up ready to face the day... not really.

My dark curly hair is in my eyes. I brush it out of the way and look over at my alarm clock: 9:47 am. I'm late! Falling out of bed and onto the tile, I rush to grab my Fleetwood Mac sweater and my orange vans. Without even looking in the mirror, I'm out the door.

I'm running down campus drive, ignoring my friends as I zoom past

I'm running down campus drive, ignoring my friends as I zoom past. "Can't talk now, see you at MP tonight!" The run from the Oaks to Straz is surprisingly long for a campus with only one road.

Sweat starts dripping in my eyes as I rush up the stairs to the offices, but something stops me in my tracks. My advisor, whom I was supposed to be meeting, is halfway down the stairs with a cardboard box containing a plant and his books.

"Dr

"Dr. Straz! Aren't we supposed to be meeting in your office?"

Tearfully, he replies, "No, Jack. I have been fired! John Swallow found out about my weekend Stoned Swingers' club. That is, of course, a club where we swing after smoking copious amounts of marijuana."

"Of course", I say, "But why would that get you fired?"

"Because I wouldn't allow him to join! Now you'll have to meet with your new advisor. I'm off to Aruba. Good day!"

He storms off with his box, leaving me alone on the stairwell. A new advisor? But it's my senior year! How could that possibly work?

I trudge mournfully up the stairs to the office where Dr. Straz used to reside and see an unfamiliar face. I knock on the door and their head pops up to look at me.

"Are you Jack?" they ask.

"Um... Uh yeah, I am." I reply.

"Nice to meet you, Jack! I'm Boris."