Chapter 3 ~ The Turmoil

"What?" I asked, looking at Anuj Uncle with confusion clouding my eyes

He was looking at me with widened eyes followed by a gulp. The expression on his face made the turmoil in my head multiply ten fold. A strange sense of fear crept up my mind when I saw him look at me with hopeful eyes.

What is wrong with him?

He turned his face in Dad's direction for a second then turned it back towards me.

"Shub, only you can help Naina." He said while walking towards me.

I would love to help Naina but how am I supposed to do it right now?

"What do you mean?" I asked, sounding confused as he stopped right infront of me. His annoying as fuck eyes looked at me with something I can't read.

I don't know what but something about him and his weird behaviour was hitting a nerve in me. His infuriating disposition to control things was annoying me to an extent I can't even describe.

His care and well-being for Naina has been downsized by his obsession for a mere profession. I mean, who the fuck even cares about their image and job over their own child?

The concern about Naina's image and career is understandable but again, what exactly can even be done in a situation where the groom who was supposed to marry Naina ran away? Everyone is looking for a way to avoid exposing Naina to those vultures again but what exactly can be done? At some point, they will find out. Finding a good enough excuse explaining the cancellation of wedding seems like the only solution to me.

Everyone seemed genuinely concerned for Naina but something about Anuj Uncle's behaviour tells me that his worry regarding Naina is just a facade to save his own image. I may be acting a little too harsh on him but the way he made Naina's marriage a way to impress his colleagues over his own daughter's wishes lost a huge amount of respect I had for him.

The words that came out of his mouth next were a proof that my prejudice about him wasn't wrong.

"Marry Naina." He said, coming straight to the point.

"WHAT?" I exclaimed while looking at him, appalled at his words.

"What are you saying, Anuj?" Dad intervened immediately as he rushed towards us. His voice was glazing with astonishment as well.

"What is wrong with you, Anuj Uncle? Have you lost your mind?" I asked, more like yelled.

At this point, I don't even care if I sound like a disrespectful piece of junk. Every single word that's coming out of that man's mouth is absurd.

"Anuj? Are you even listening to yourself right now?" Sharda Aunty asked in disbelief.

He totally ignored Sharda Aunty and turned towards my parents.