Chapter 5

*Normani's POV*
"Maybe that's not true Ally, maybe you misheard them... He- HEY what are you doing??" I said, getting up to jog after Ally who had been running up the road away from my house. "Ally wait!"
****
*Ally's POV*
"Mom, I'm home!" I said, walking in and shutting the door, locking it so if Normani was still chasing me she couldn't get in. "Mom?" I said once again. I walked around the house searching but no luck. Then I found the note on the table. "Ally, if you see this, your father and I have flown back to Texas. Sorry for the short notice, your grandfather is in the hospital again. Try to have a good spring break! Lots of love babe. - Mom" she signed it with her signature heart at the end.

"No.." I thought. I was not going to have a good spring break. I have to fly over to Texas.. I have to get away. I have to see my grandpa before God knows how long he has left... I ran to my room and dug out my suitcase from my closet before my phone rang. I ignored it and continued packing. Once it had stopped ringing, it notified me of a voicemail. I ignored that until I was finished packing 4 or 5 outfits for Texas. I went to grab my travel bag with my necessities in it and packed that too.

I grabbed two pairs of shoes and threw them in there as well. I finished packing by grabbing my laptop and my charging cables for both my iPhone and my laptop. Zipping up the suitcase, I grabbed my phone and shoved it in my pocket. I took one last look at my room, and the rest of the house before I rolled my bag out to the garage and into my car. For graduation, my parents had just bought me a new car. It was my dream to be able to drive a Bentley one day, specifically a Continental GT3-R, decked out in black of course. They had given it to me at Christmas though, I didn't expect anything because I had just turned 18 last summer. I figured we didn't get Christmas gifts at 18. I pulled out of my driveway and headed for the airport. On my way, at the occasional stop light I looked for plane tickets to San Antonio that took off soon. It was 4:30 pm. The next plane left at 4:45 pm... "Shit." I said as I sped ahead of three cars, almost hitting the back of another. I was at least 25 minutes from the airport but I didn't have that kind of time.

I was doing the speed limit until I cut it close on time and had to hit the exit before I missed it. If I missed this plane there was a chance one of the girls would try coming to find me. I couldn't take that chance.

***
I made it to the plane just in time. I had to go to the quicker line in bag check and body check but I made it in just fine. For the next 3 and a half hours, I sat on the plane between two elderly people. They both slept the whole time. Behind me of course, was the crying baby nobody wanted to hear. I looked at the two elders before carefully turning around in my seat. The baby was too cute to be crying like that!!

The mother must have walked to the restroom or something, the baby was left alone. I looked down the isle to make sure no one was coming before making my way back next to the baby. "Shhhh, it's okay baby, it's okay." I said softly, reaching down to grab her pacifier she must've dropped. I wiped it off on the bottom of my shirt before carefully putting it back in her mouth. She seemed to calm down afterwards, but I went as far as removing her from her seat and holding her. I rocked her back an fourth as I saw her eyes flutter a few times before finally letting sleep take over.

I thought about putting her back in her seat but decided against it. She was too cute to let go of. So I sat in the seat beside hers and waited for someone to come back and stay with her. 10 minutes. 15 minutes. 30 minutes. No one. Who would just leave their baby here to scream and cry? This is insane. She was still asleep, so I placed her back into her seat and strapped her back in, being careful not to wake her up. As soon as I did, a man comes flying down the isle toward me. "Hey hey hey what do you think you're doing that's my b-" he looked at the sleeping baby and back at me. "How did you do that? I've been trying since the plane took off to get her to sleep." I smiled at him, "well sometimes babies just need a mothering figure to get them to sleep. It's real simple." He looked me up and down a few times before I got the memo. "I'm 18, don't worry. I'm not a mother." I laughed. "Well thank you, so so so so much." He ran his hand through his hair. I made my way back to my seat before responding. "No problem!" I smiled before sitting back down. It was now almost 8:00 so the plane would be landing soon. Realizing I forgot to check my phone, I pulled it out. Missed Call: Lauren Jauregui. I cursed under my breath to myself. Do I dare listen to the voicemail... I put the phone to my ear as the message began to play. "Hey Als...its Lauren, obviously..my name is uh probably on the contact.. Anyways I was just calling to see if you were okay, I don't know what all you heard when you came inside but I really... I just.. We need to talk, feel free to drop by my place tonight. My parents are on a cruise with my aunt and uncle so you can come whenever. See you later Allygator.." She laughed...god that laugh..."Love you Als!" I hung up the phone and shoved it back into my pocket before wiping the tears from my eyes.. She's probably upset that I just ignored her like that....god I fucked up...