10

O L I V I A

The room was dark, as the only source of light was coming from the backyard, but the grey curtains blocked those lights from my eyes.

It was deadly silent in the bedroom, and if someone dropped a pen, it would echo inside the room.

It stood 3 AM on the digital clock on the nightstand next to the bed, where I was currently turning back and forth while no sleep came to me.

I think I have changed a hundred sleeping positions since I went to bed a few hours ago after being escorted by a maid to the guest room.

But sleep was something that didn't want to come my way. Feeling defeated by it, I stared at the large distance between me and the ceiling.

I would need a ladder if I wanted to reach it, but still, I thought it was the smallest room inside the mansion.

There was only a normal-sized bed and a nightstand, as the windows next to the bed were covered with curtains as dust gathered in some places.

I did not want to sound ungrateful for the fact that I had a bed to sleep in for the night, which could make me tear up in most cases.

But I was placed where I wasn't supposed to be.

The lights in the room didn't work, and there was cleaning equipment in the corners of the room.

Was this the price of smacking my bitch of an aunt?

Definitely.

I couldn't stand it anymore, so I got up from the bed and walked out the room, which was at the end of a hallway.

Not the beautiful, spacious hallway near the entrance of the door or where Mr. Everett had come out.

This hall was still beautiful, but it seemed to be under construction.

I wanted to applaud the people who were mocking me, they sure did well.

I first slept in a run-down car for years, and now I have a room in the middle of a construction site.

I took a sharp breath in as I stepped outside the construction hall, walking carefully through it.

I was thankful for not harming myself in there, since there were a bunch of hammers on the tables that could have easily fallen on my feet or spikes that were on the floor, which I could have stepped on.

But when the maid led me here, I allowed her to lead me here for a reason instead of causing a fight.

If my mother and aunt thought putting me in a bad place for the night would put me in my place, they had another thing coming.

I walked along the abandoned hallway as my fingertips touched the base of the hammers, wishing to use them against Eleanor Everett.

I finally made my way out of the dangerous hallway, and it was way warmer in here than in the construction room they placed me in, as it was freezing in that room.

At first, I thought it was my thin robe, which was made of black silk, that made me cold, but it wasn't that, it was the room they placed me in.

I crossed my arms, wondering where I should go now?

I was hungry at the moment, and I could sneak myself into the kitchen.

That idea put me in a lighter mood, so I found the kitchen because it was close to the dining room where we had eaten during the evening, and to my luck, I didn't pass the bedrooms of the other family members that were resting because I was placed near the basement.