Chapter 14

Way was speechless after Pete opened the car door for him, and stood up. They were both in front of a prestigious high school, probably where Pete had graduated. It looked like in a fairy tale, like a kind of castle of rare splendor.

Music could be heard from inside, and above the gate of the high school was written in large letters: Welcome to the freshman ball. Melancholy had seized Way's body, trembling with happiness and emotion.

Pete, seeing Way excited, wanted to make him feel more comfortable:

"Are you alright, darling?

Do you like it?"

"Very much, Pete.

I'm speechless.

I would never have thought that I would go back in time, and especially to see such a beautiful building.

This is a private high school, isn't it?" Way had asked curiously.

"Yes, how can I tell you this, only families with money are registered here," answered Pete, ashamed.

"I knew it!

It's okay Pete, you don't have to feel bad.

I realized from the first that you are part of an aristocratic family.

And I'm fine with that, well, only with you, because you've proven to me that you're a person of character, not proud and ignorant like others."

Way's words had made Pete smile because it was the first time in his life that someone wasn't judging him by his cover. The hours passed and Pete realized even more that Way was the chosen one of his life. Taking courage, Pete:

"Way?..."

"What is it, Pete?

Why are you stuttering?

Are you okay?" Way had asked worriedly.

"I'm fine.

But...

Way!

Do you want to... hold hands?" Pete had finally asked.

Way's face lit up and he chuckled. He had found Pete's attitude adorable. Was this man even over 30 years old? He was acting like a newly in love teenager.

"Sure, Pete.

It would be my greatest pleasure."

And as their fingers had touched, the thrill of love had risen, both smiling shyly, without having the courage to look into each other's eyes. Oh, and how pleasant this feeling was! As if life was finally satisfying!

"Are you ready, Way?

Shall we enter?"

"Two adults to mess up the teenagers' party?

Why not?"

"Come on, Way, we're not that old.

I honestly stayed at the age of 17," said Pete dreamily.

"The way you're acting, I agree." Way declared with a smirk.

"What do you mean?"

But Pete couldn't find the answer anymore, because Way quickly pulled him inside the building, excited about what the night would offer.

Inside, they were engulfed by the countless lights that moved on the dance floor together with the high schoolers who were enjoying this wonderful evening. Everything was of such calming beauty. The souls of the two were delighted by the joy of teenagers who were full of big dreams, at the age when innocence was fighting with maturity. They missed those moments from the past, but at the same time they were grateful that they got rid of those worries and changes. Puberty is a very difficult period in a person's life.