XI: Apres Moi, le Déluge

The night was far from over after Briana's intense conversation with Klaus. After Briana had gone to bed, Hayley and Elijah had discovered that, when put together, Davina's drawings had revealed a portrait of Celeste. When Hayley told Briana this morning, Briana instantly knew something wasn't right, especially since Sophie had just inquired about Celeste's remains. 

Briana sat besides Hayley on the sofa in the Mikaelson Compound drawing room as Elijah explained the history of witches to the sisters. 

"Over the centuries, vampires have fought them and fought beside them, bedded them and burned them. Whether adversary or ally, they have been a force to be reckoned with." Elijah explained as he looked to the portrait of Celeste laid out on the table. 

"Their ancestral magic anchors this city. There's never been one all-powerful witch until Davina." 

Briana felt a pit in her stomach form as Elijah spoke the young girl's name. The sound of Davina's heartbroken cries filled the entire compound the night before. 

"Who is now tucked in safe and sound, down the hall, under my protection" Klaus voice sounded as he entered the room. 

Briana rolling her eyes at his word. If anyone knew the longing effects of his protection, it was her. 

"Your Celeste was quite beautiful," Klaus spoke admiring the portrait before locking eyes with his brother, "and a portend of evil, according to our volatile artist in residence." 

Elijah sighed, "Yes. Perhaps Davina's mistaken what she calls evil for power. Celeste was certainly very powerful in her day. But she's been dead for over 200 years. I don't understand why all these sketches now."

Hayley and Briana exchanged knowing looks, having a silent conversation out of sight of the brothers. Briana rose her eyebrow in Hayley's direction silently asking if Elijah knew about what Sophie had asked for. When Hayley's eyes widened in response, she knew the answer was no. 

Elijah had sat across from the two girls as Klaus stepped closer to his brother. Completely ignoring Briana's disapproving gaze after their conversation last night. 

"Why does any witch do anything?" Klaus asked taking a seat across the room. 

When Elijah opened his mouth to respond, a clattering sound arose from down the hall. Like glass shattering. Confused expressions spread to everyone's faces, except Klaus who sighed in frustration. 

"Well that's going well." He said in reference to Davina, and the fact that Marcel was trying to settle her anger. 

"If you were trying to win the girl's trust, perhaps poisoning her one true love was not the most splendid idea." Elijah retorted. 

Klaus scoffed, "Are there ant more inopportune deaths you'd like to wave in my face?" 

Elijah smiled sarcastically, "Give me a month. I'll get you a list." 

Klaus smiled devilishly. 

"Make sure you add Jenna to that list." Briana spoke sassily as she crossed her arms over her chest. Klaus' sadistic laughter silenced. 

Briana looked over at Klaus with a look cold as ice, "Write it in big, bold letters." 

"How many times must I apolo--" Klaus sighed in frustration but was cut off by more glass shattering sounds. 

He composed his anger and rose from his chair, "Young, old, dead or alive, witches are a pain in the ass."

Klaus stormed out of the room as Briana looked between Hayley and Elijah before muttering, "He's one to talk."