COS - | 13 |

✦ .  ⁺   . ✦ .  ⁺   . ✦

——

They arrived in Professor Lockhart's office, a cavern of shadows punctuated by flickering candlelight.

Dumbledore, his long, crooked nose mere inches from Mrs. Norris's petrified form and examined. Professor McGonagall, hawk-like, mirrored his intense scrutiny, her eyes narrowed.

Y/n Harry, Ron, and Hermione exchanged nervous glances as they sat on chairs in the periphery of the candles.

"It was definitely a curse, the Transmogrifian Torture that killed her." Lockhart declared as he paced around. "I've seen it countless times."

Lockhart's comments earned a guttural sob from Mr. Filch, who slumped in a chair nearby.

Harry and Ron exchanged glances, their eyes drawn to Y/n. Hermione secretly nudged her.

"It wasn't a curse, Professor." Y/n interjected, her face placid. "It was a Basilisk. And Mrs. Norris isn't dead, just petrified."

Filch's sobbing ceased abruptly, and he turned to Y/n with a look. Lockhart, however, glanced at the ten year old, merely raised a skeptical eyebrow.

Ron leaned toward Harry, whispering "Godric... do i smell a debate now?" Harry shrugged, his eyes fixed on y/n.

"No, no, Miss Diggory." Lockhart shook his head. "I recall a similar incident in Ouagadougou. It's all detailed in my autobiography, of course. I was able to provide the townsfolk with various amulets as proofs, which resolved the situation..."

"But you just mentioned that it was the Transmogrifian Torture that killed the cat." Y/n countered steadily. "While the Petrification is temporary which is why i believe Mrs. Norris is still alive, not being tortured to death."

Then Dumbledore straightened up, his eyes still fixed on Mrs. Norris.

"She's not dead, Argus." he said softly, glancing at y/n knowingly.

Lockhart stopped abruptly in the middle of the exhange with y/n. Mr. Filch sighed in collective relief that he had been holding.

"But my cat is still Petrified!" he shrieked, his eyes popping. "I want to see some punishment!"

Y/n, Harry, Ron and Hermione sighed and facepalmed mentally.

"Mr. Filch." Hermione chimed, "there's a cure."

"Indeed." Nodded dumbledore "Professor Sprout recently acquired some Mandrakes. As soon as they reach full size, I will have a potion made that will bring Mrs. Norris back to life." Said dumbledore.

"I'll make it." Professor Lockhart suggested. "I've done it a hundred times before. I could whip up a Mandrake Restorative Draught in my sleep–"

"Excuse me." Snape said icily "but I believe I am the Potions master at this school."

The room fell into a thick silence. Everyone knew Snape wouldn't hesitate to rip Lockhart to shreds if given the chance.

"You may go." Dumbledore said, smoothly ushering Y/n, Harry, Ron and Hermione towards the door.

——

Few days later. Y/n and hermione had spent their time at the library because of the attack of Mrs. Norris that one night. Both of them spent a lot of time reading, y/n had even brought some of the books from the library into the dorm.

"Bloody Merlin. I'm still eight inches short!" Ron groaned, tossing his parchment towards the ceiling where it unfurled with a spring.

"And Hermione's a pint-sized Porcupine, her writing's like a Gnat's sneeze." Harry chuckled, measuring Hermione's neatly penned words on her own scroll.