Chapter 29

"Avery, tumatawag si Enrique..."

I looked up when I heard Karlo's voice. As soon as the exams were over, I headed into the clinic. Iyak ako nang iyak habang nagt-take ng exam at ang tanging nasa isip ko lang ay ang makaalis sa lugar na iyon sa lalong madaling panahon.

"H-Hello?" My voice broke when I accepted the call.

"Kumusta si Chuchay? Anong balita? Hindi kami pinayagang makapag-cellphone pero—"

"Wala na si Chuchay, Enrique."

He went silent on the other line. Then, I heard deep, painful breathing as if he was trying to stop himself from crying.

"Uuwi ako, Avery. Hintayin mo ako sa La Union."

I almost dropped my phone when the call ended. I didn't have the energy to cry any longer, so I just stared blankly at the wall while Celeste and Yari were filling out the forms for me. Once they were done, Karlo paid the remaining bills and at last, Chuchay's body was released to us.

"San mo siya gustong ilibing, Avery? Sa La Union ba?"

I slowly nodded. Ayokong ilibing siya sa apartment na iiwanan ko rin naman. I want to be able to visit her every now and then.

"Ba-byahe tayo mamaya kung gayon. Maghihintay si Ivo sa atin sa La Union..." Karlo ran a hand through his hair and looked at me with a pained expression on his face.

Hindi ako sumagot. It's just the first day of the board exam. Tomorrow,  I have to go back for the second test. It mostly focuses on the practical application of psychometric principles and techniques. Iyon ang pinakamahalagang parte kaya kahit na labag sa kalooban ko ay kailangan kong madaliin ito.

"Anong sabi ni Enrique? Uuwi ba siya?" Tanong sa akin ni Celeste habang bumabiyahe kami sa kalagitnaan ng gabi.

Tumango ako. Chuchay was in a box when the clinic handed her over to us. Kandong ko ito sa backseat habang katabi ko naman si Celeste. Yari is in the front seat, making sure that her twin won't fall asleep in the middle of the road.

It was the longest ride to La Union, and I couldn't stop myself from crying once more each time I imagined how she died. I hope she's wrapped up in her favorite blanket. I hope my scent was lingering in the blanket and that she knew that I never, ever abandoned her. I hope she at least played with the toys that I brought over, thinking of the happy days we shared together.

Sana wala na sa isipan niya ang buhay niya noon bilang asong kalye. Sana alam niya na mahal na mahal ko siya, kahit na hindi niya ako naiintindihan. Sana masaya siya sa lahat ng taong pinagsamahan namin.

Chuchay was the dog that I got in high school and stuck with me in my 20's, when life was too hard to deal with. She's one of the reasons why I'm still alive to this day. There's no way I would ever forget her.

When we got to the cemetery, Ivo was already there. The two of them dug a hole near my family's land and gently placed the box over there.

Nang akmang tatabunan na ni Karlo ng lupa ang box, pinigilan ko ito.

"Hintayin muna natin si Enrique..." My voice was almost pleading. "Uuwi siya, eh."

Nagtinginan ang mga kaibigan ko. She's been dead for over 12 hours already. Kailangan na namin siyang ilibing ngayon din pero hindi ko maatim na hindi man lang siya makita ni Enrique sa huling pagkakataon.

And so, we waited.

And waited...

No one batted an eyelash as time went by. Ilang oras ang nagdaan na tahimik lang kaming naghihintay sa sementeryo. It was almost three in the morning when I checked my phone again for the hundredth time. I finally cried when I realized that he isn't coming at all.