newsies (2017 proshot) | chronic pain | crutchie & jack

Whumpril 2024 prompt : Crutch
April Spring Fling 2024 prompt : Rain
Whump: The Musical! 2024 prompt : Newsies - Chronic Pain
The Whumps of March 2024 prompt : Curses
Hurtcember 2023 prompt : Crutch

It was gonna rain soon. Crutchie could feel it.

His bad leg ached and burned and his joints in that leg began to feel like they were being ripped apart. His knee and ankle were in agony and suddenly the thought of walking and going through a full day of handing out newspapers became a whole lot more daunting.

"Crutchie, you okay?" he heard the familiar voice of Jack Kelly ask from behind. A hand was set on his shoulder and now the man was sitting next to him on the bed. "You's acting off"

"Sorry" Crutchie apologized. "It's gonna rain"

"Ah, dammit" Jack groaned in irritation. "We's gonna have a harder time sellin' papes today if it's rainin'"

"Yeah..."

"I's gotta ask again, Crutch, are you okay?"

"Hurts" Crutchie complained, gesturing to his bad leg. "Everyone's finds it so cool that I's can tell the weather, but it kinda feels like a curse sometimes"

"Oh, I'm sorry, Crutchie" Jack frowned in sympathy for his friend. "Is there anything I's can do?"

"Can ya just stays by me today while we're handing out papes? Just in case somethin' happens"

"Of course"

"I also might need help gettin' around" Crutchie warned. "I's gotta lean more on my crutch when I's hurtin' so bad"

"Anything"

"Thank you, Jack" Crutchie grinned gratefully. "You're the best"

"You's never gots ta thank me, Crutchie"