Doubt

Elijah had briefly stopped back at Remus and Sirius', which thankfully they weren't there. Slipping into the townhouse quietly and getting showered and changed before packing a small bag.

He didn't want to linger in hopes he could avoid them entirely, but he sat on the bed for a moment taking in the room one last time. He'd been excited for this summer, finally having somewhere to call home. He wondered if after all this was done if he still could call it that? Or would they hate him? Would he still be alive? Would they?

On his bedside was a photo Regulus had taken of the three of them during Spring Break, things seemed more hopeful back then despite it being just a few months ago. Picking up the frame he removed the photo and slipped it into an inner pocket of his bag.

Should he leave a note? It wasn't like he was never going to see them again. Did he owe them an explanation? An apology?

He sighed heavily, getting up from his bed he slowly left the room and headed downstairs. In another universe this could have been something special. In another universe he'd have never needed it. But those weren't the cards he was dealt, he had to let that go. A pipeline dream. In this universe, home wasn't a place on a map that he could locate, and it wasn't a place he'd find anytime soon.

Checking his watch he realised he still had time to kill, he didn't exactly know where to go because he'd have to find a place that allowed him to use floo powder to get to the Manor. He wasn't old enough to apparate yet. But he couldn't stay here.

Grabbing his bag, he slung the strap over his shoulder and made his way out of the house. He didn't know where to go. He didn't know where he could go. He needed somewhere he could use the Floo system but he didn't want to head to Diagon Alley or anywhere public.

In the end he just started walking, with no destination in mind but the desire to get far away from the house before its owners came back. Subconsciously he must have known there was a place to go, because a little before two o'clock he arrived at Regulus' door.

He knocked on the door, listening to the movement on the other side before the door opened.

Regulus' eyes widened, "Elijah... Come in, come in." He muttered, letting the boy past and looking around to check he hadn't been followed before closing the door.

"What are you doing here?" The man asked, leading the boy through the house.

"I- Well, I didn't know where else to go." He admitted, looking up at the other with a frown.

Regulus felt his heart sink, with everything going on he'd almost lost himself in the whirlwind, and how the boy was holding it together was something else.

"Come on, let's get you some food and somewhere to rest." The man hummed, taking him through to the living room and gestured for the boy to take a seat before going through to kitchen himself.

Elijah sat on the end of the sofa, nervously adjusting his rings. He was feeling more and more on edge as time ticked mercilessly on. It would be his first Death Eater meeting where he'd officially meet all of them. He didn't know what to expect, except he now owed Malfoy and others for getting him out of a life sentence, and he was sure that they'd all hold him to it.

Regulus came back in with two plates, each holding a bacon sandwich, passing him one with a small smile.

The bly took the plate with a nod of appreciation before tucking into the sandwich. He'd eaten the pastry Lysander had brought for him earlier that morning, but with the case being so soon he had forgotten how hungry he really was.

Finishing the sandwich he dusted himself off and looked up at Regulus, putting the plate on the coffee table. "Regulus... I'm sorry."

Regulus raised a brow, finishing his own food and leaning forward. "Sorry for what?"