▫️ Fifteen

LORENZO

"Meow,"

The soft sound of my kitten greeted me just as the front door locked behind me.

A tug at the bottom of my trousers followed and I smiled at the glowing golden eyes.

I switched on the light just as the kitten climbed up my left leg, eventually settling on my shoulder.

I rubbed the fur of his head backwards as I took off my shoes, so exhausted after working all day.

I walked to the living room and switched on the light there. The room was a bit messy, not how I had left it today morning and I questionably looked at the creature clinging to my chest.

He just purred with every stroke on his fur.

I tidied up the cushions and wiped off the messy tables and just when I was done, I heard the sound of spoons falling in the kitchen.

My companion jumped off me and walked away to the next room like that sound had been nothing.

"You finally come home," the culprit revealed himself before I could even take a step to investigate.

"Alonzo?" I was truly surprised to see my brother emerge from the kitchen.

"When did you get here?" We clasped our arms over each other's back in a brief hug.

"Just after four," he whined about waiting for hours for me to get home.

"You know how long doctors work." I responded, sneakily taking the burger in his right hand.

"That doesn't mean you take my food," he pushed my arm when I had a large bite.

"I'm hungry," I shrugged, still taking another bite but this time he let me have the whole of it to myself.

"What do you even eat? I went through your fridge and there was nothing in there. Just two eggs, flour and water."

"The least I could make was pancakes!" Alonzo went on and on about my lack of cooking skills.

It truly wasn't a lie. I never really did well in matters of the kitchen but a part of his ramble got to me.

"Pancakes?" I asked in interest, cutting off Alonzo's lengthy explanation.

"That's all you gathered?" He furrowed his eyes while adjusting the sleeves of his woolen sweater.

"Were you making pancakes?" I asked again and after his short nod, I began walking towards the kitchen.

"I already ate them all," Alonzo laughed when I was about to disappear round the corner.

I clicked under my breath, not because I was hungry but because I had missed the chance to observe and learn.

She loved pancakes.

"Can you write me the recipe for making them?" I pretended to look away so that he didn't see me smiling out of nowhere.

"Alright." My brother agreed at once before the request I'd made sank in and he passed me a sneaky glance.

Before I could let him overthink, I changed the conversation. "Did you feed Gary?"

His blue feeding bowl was empty and it was already past eight, the time when he usually had his supper.

"Gary? Who is Gary?" I pointed at the orange furred kitten he'd gifted me last year for Christmas.

Claiming that my house was usually quiet, he had gotten me this kitten so that I'd be less lonely.

"You finally named him?" Alonzo exclaimed as he picked up Gary and began to gently stroke over his fur.