Chapter 31

Marco wouldn't do something like that to me. There's no way what my father said is true, I can't believe it, I don't want to believe it. He spoke again, "And soon enough we'll take everything from him. When she attends the next ball event then it's affirmed that she is involved." Then he continued speaking in Italian for about a minute and closed the call. I took a deep breath trying to not cry. Everything was a lie. His love is a lie. His words. Lies. I shouldn't have let my guard down. I should have listened to my father from the very beginning. I should have been stronger. I can't even face him anymore. I'm too stunned to speak, to look at him. Too stunned to even fake a smile.

My phone rang in my hand. I looked at it and it was Father. I took a moment to answer and when I did... *There's a ball event tomorrow, you must attend, Natasha will take you to the stylist. I will meet you there. * He said. "Wait." I knew he would close the call right after saying what he had to say. I had to speak before he does that. *Hm... * I took a deep breath before talking... "I'll do it."

_______________________________________________

Marco took Cleo back to her mansion, feeling the bit of coldness from her all this time. The moment she left the restroom and stood in front of him felt like the world had been frozen around them. He stared at her expression, sweet features and admired her. While she stared at him in an emotionless expression even a slight smile was hard to be formed. All her thoughts were filled with disappointment, insecurity, anger. He tricked her is all she thought. "I'm tired, take me home." She grabbed her bag and walked out of the shop, avoiding eye contact and running from him. It surprised him.

Now as she got off the bike and walked away once again from him. It was a long ride for some reason. It was already past midnight. "Fireball." He held her bag strap with the tip of his fingers. She froze but didn't turn around. "Yeah?" She spoke. He slowly moved off the bike still holding her bag and took one step towards her. "Are you free tomorrow ?" He asked. She smirked. The event is tomorrow night. If she said she won't be free, then he would guess it would be because of it. He is a smart man but she was smarter. "Yes. Why?"

"I want to take you on another date." She frowned. "Where?" She had to ask this time. "It's a- No surprises." She cut his words, he raised an eyebrow. "Why not? Too scared?" She took a step forward. "Haha... Of you?" She turned around and looked at him sarcastically. "Never." Her face dropped. "Since you insist on not telling me where exactly you'll take me. Don't take me on any dates, might as well break up with me, Marco Gallon!" She said that surprising him then turned her head to walk away.

He ran to her, pulling her into a hug. He closed his eyes, repeating one thing in his mind. They will be fine. What could have gotten into her? THEY WILL BE FINE.
"MARCO!" She pushed him away. "What is happening to you?!" He asked. She looked away; he could read her so easily. "Why are you mad?" he asked again. "I'm tired, that's all." She said then walked again. "Where do you think you're going?!" He pulled her arm, turning her to him again. He made sure to be close enough to feel her heartbeats. She looked at him with those beautiful, teary, brown eyes. Not knowing what to expect...
"My Love, talk to me, something seems off. What is it?" He asked, looking at her with confusion. And waited for an answer but he never got that.

She softly moved her hands up his cheeks, twirling his hair with her fingers. She pulled him down to her and kissed his lips softly. It took him by surprise and a second to move his hands to her waist pulling her closer to him.
He moved his hands to her chin and kissed her deeply then stopped her. "We still need to talk, Fireball."

"Do you...love me?" She asked.

"What?" he whispered, surprised by the question again. "Of course, I love you!" she looked at him with eyes full of tears and doubt. She nodded her head and took a step back. "Cleo, I'd burn the world for you..." She chuckled, making him smile, but what she said made that smile drop instantly... "Then why does it feel like you'd burn me?"

She looked at the floor as she spoke. He gulped, not knowing what to say. All her doubts started to grow more by each second, he didn't speak in it. She clenched her fists as tears fell down her cheeks. "So, you aren't saying anything? huh?!" She almost shouted. "Woah Woah, love... look at me." he walked to her. He smiled slightly when they locked eyes, "What are you thinking?" he whispered. He kissed her lips, moving to her cheek and then her ear. "Trust me, when I say the whole world, I am against the whole world but you, My Love... Just trust me."

Cleo smiled as a tear fell from her eye. It was the first time she faked her smile with him. "Just trust you?" She walked backwards and crossed her arms. "I'll always trust you." She blew him a kiss with her hand. "Goodnight, Marco." The way she said it with a cold expression made him question everything he did this day. He scoffed, "Perfect." He said. "Just perfectly where I want you...." He watched her as she reached the door. He let out a sigh, then went to his bike and drove away.

___________________________________

Next Morning:-

I woke to the sunlight hitting my eyes and my phone ringing. Once again. My first thought is him. I can't believe it. Marco's love is just a lie. "Ugh... Hello? Oh hey D!"

After a minute of talking to Delilah, someone knocked at my door. "Come in!" I said as I muted the call. Natasha entered with a huge smile on her face. I sat well and spoke, "Ah, good morning?" I asked with an eyebrow raised. "Yes! Good morning, boss! I have great news."
"Tell me." I smiled slightly.
"We got a call from the hospital, and Jason is awake. Also, his health is very good." She said.
I clapped and smiled. "Haha! Yes!!" She clapped too and almost started jumping from happiness.
I got off the bed and rushed to the bathroom. "Oh and Ryder as well, his injury was taken care of, and he's slowly healing better now!" She shouted from outside.
I looked at the mirror and sighed. Relieved. "Now, this is what I've been missing every morning." I said.
Something good to wake up to. Something that makes me get out of bed with excitement.
They're alive. They're both fine...
I started laughing. "Yes!! Thank god!"

After ten minutes, I got out, dressed up, and ready to leave. Natasha was still out waiting for me. "Aurelia and Austin went ahead. I'll be driving us to the hospital." I nodded.
My phone started ringing in my pocket. I looked at it and saw Marco calling. I ignored it. "Uhm...it rang all night.."
Natasha said hesitantly. "Hm?" I looked at her confused as we walked down the stairs. "Your phone was ringing most of the night as you were sleeping."
"How'd you know that?" I asked her. It was right beside me, and I don't remember hearing it ringing as I slept.
"I usually walk around the mansion, in the hallways, and yeah, I couldn't sleep. And every time I passed beside your room, I'd hear your phone ring again and again." She explained.
"Oh.." I checked my phone. And she was right, I had 76 missed calls from Marco. I gulped. Why would he call this much? Should I call him back?
I turned the phone off as we got in the car.

If Marco knows that my father will attend this event and expects me to come as his daughter. And since this event is only for the mafia, then going there will cause problems. He will just kill me right there, completely forgetting everything between us and seeing me as his enemy.

I bit my lips, holding myself from crying because of that thought. "Boss, we're here." I pretended to cough and hide my face from Natasha. "Are you okay?" She asked, putting her hand on my shoulder. "Yes." I said coldly and opened the car door.
We entered a different hospital than the one Jason was in last time. Austin was already there with Aurelia beside him, and Sofia was on her phone. Natasha said hi to them and hugged Aurelia. I just stood there watching them. I couldn't help but notice something about this guy Austin and Aurelia. They had this connection as they talked and facial expressions that were so similar. Weird.
Sofia looked at me and smiled. "Do you want to see Jason? He's been asking about you." She spoke. I nodded and then said. "Yeah, sure."

We entered his room and he was asleep. I stopped and nodded at them to leave.

I walked closer to the bed and crossed my arms as I looked at him. He didn't look at me as he spoke... "Boss commands me to be your right hand in the event tonight...." I got surprised.