Chapter 23

Astonished by what he just said to her at this moment, speechless Cleo was. This proved all her thoughts wrong. Her words, his actions, everything. Their whole friendship.
"Answer me."

He said, holding her arms, taking one step closer, which made her step back. "How can I not love you?" he moved his hand to her chin, pulling her head up. And asked as their eyes met. His question says so many things, but his eyes say more than she can read. "Marco..." she closed her hands, playing with her fingers. She slowly walked back, turning away from him. She needed air. She wasn't thinking straight when he was inches away from her. His body's heat was too strong like his cologne. It captivated her. It made her feel on fire. It made her feel alive and powerful; the more their bond got stronger. It's all she needed. Him. All she needed was Marco Gallon. But there's always someone in the way of what she wants.

She closed her eyes, thinking, calling for something to come and help her. Should she push him away, which will end their friendship? Or confess about her feelings that had been killing her inside every time he gets closer to someone else? Every time he gets closer to her, then control himself and be distant? Every time she gets mad at him for a ridiculous reason and pushes him so far, she can't hear from him...

The fear of losing him consumed her. She had a feeling that she would lose him in either way. It made her go crazy. Both choices were hard for her. "You decide!" She mumbled. He walked to her. "What?" his deep, low voice made her shiver. She exhaled, then turned to him. "Just don't love me." She looked down. He sighed, then chuckled. "Okay, as if that is so easy!" He said, then got down on his knees when she didn't look at him.

It shocked her but then he held her hands. "I fell in love with you since the moment you got out of that car." She shook her head. "You would be in danger..." She whispered. He scoffed, standing up he held her face. "I don't care about danger. Hell, I've seen my life flash out in front of me before. Cleo, I can't be like this anymore. I don't think I'll be able to control myself."

"What do you mean you've seen your life flash-- My Dad. My dad is a firefighter. I was once before all the time beside him, and yeah. This is not. Cleo dammit..." She giggled. And he smiled watching her, and then they both started laughing. "My point is... I don't want to see that again. So don't." He spoke. "What do you mean?" She asked, then he held her chin and leaned down. It gave her goosebumps how he leaned like that."You are my life, Cleo Marino." Her eyes widened, and her jaw dropped in shock. He smiled at her cute reaction. "May I kiss you?" He asked, making her blush. She looked away slightly smiling. "Por favore." He begged. "Maybe...if you keep it a secret." She said and looked at him a little shy. "The kiss?" He asked and held her chin again, making her look at him. This damn move sent shivers down her whole body.
"No. If you want to step into this. There's no way out unless I say so." She said. "I don't understand." He replied. She turned around as she spoke. "My father isn't an easy man."
"I know." He said as he walked around to face her. "Marco, I'm not joking - I know! I know." She narrowed her eyes at him. "What do you know?" She sighed. And before he could speak, she stopped him and said... "You don't, I'm sorry." Avoiding eye contact. She walked beside him without looking back.

A part of her wanted to stay and look for a solution with him. But the part of her that was raised by Vencent was stronger than her own...
She got back into the party, she took a deep breath, and looked around for Ryder. There was no sign of him. So she went for the bathroom. As she stood at the backdoor, she turned around to take a glimpse of Marco outside. He stood there staring at where she was blankly. It broke her heart, but there was nothing she could do.
She walked back to her way towards the stairs, holding her tears from falling. When someone held her wrist from behind.