Chapter Six - Living with Dragons (And a Peg-Leg)

Two weeks after the Red Death battle and the end of the dragon war, Hiccup still laid in bed, comatose and with Astrid by his side. She would still leave to assist the rest of the teens and help Gobber with the building efforts, but would still be beside herself with worry about Hiccup waking up. She would also change over occasionally with Toothless, so she could finish more duties. This particular instance was to oversee the twins on shoreline watch, so Toothless sat by Hiccup's beside, trying to get his attention until he eventually woke up, then rubbed his face into him after he saw Hiccup open his eyes.

Hiccup: "Hey Toothless... Yeah I'm happy to see you too buddy..."

He replies groggily as he tries to pet Toothless, who then accidentally jabs his arm into Hiccup's stomach, jolting Hiccup further up.

Hiccup: G-oh... What- Uh..."

He then takes a look around where he was, realising he wasn't in his tent anymore, but instead in a hut, the interior of which he didn't recognise.

Hiccup: "I seem to be in someone's house... Oh no... I'm not back in Berk am I?... Wait- You're in this house too Toothless... Where are we bud?"

He begins to ask as Toothless starts hopping around the hut, excited that his best friend finally woke up. Still in confusion over what happened, Hiccup tries to calm Toothless down, with little to no result.

Hiccup: "Toothless no, no Toothless... Toothless! Oh come on..."

He gives up and decides to go outside and check his surroundings. However as he lifts up the sheet to get out of bed he finds a shocking surprise, a peg leg where his left foot used to be. He rests it on the floor after sitting up, noticing the spring mechanism just above what he deduced to being the foot. Taking a few deep breaths to collect himself before getting up to attempt to walk, stumbling a couple of times before Toothless puts his head under his left arm to assist him.

Hiccup: "Thanks bud... This is going to take a lot of getting used to..."

He softly remarks as he and Toothless make their way to the front door, opening it to reveal it was Dragon's Edge, slightly more built up than last time he saw it.

Hiccup: "Good grief... How long was I out?"

As he asks himself this, many of the Dragon Riders look towards his hut, seeing Hiccup and Toothless up and about. Seeing this they all grin and cheer, before Astrid rushes towards him, greeting him with a tight hug and a few tears.

Astrid: "Oh thank Thor! Welcome back Hiccup!"

Hiccup: Wow... Really missed me huh Astrid?..."

He asks nervously as he hugs her back, her face moving backwards to look at him.

Astrid: "Sorry, I got a little over excited, we haven't seen you up and about for two weeks."

Hiccup: "Two weeks!?"

Astrid: "Worst I've ever seen and that includes my uncle Finn... Oh by the way..."

*She lets go of the hug, and punches him in the right shoulder*

Astrid: "That's for scaring me."

Hiccup: "Gah! Alright I guess I deserved that, but is it always going to be this way? Because-"

She cuts him off by kissing him deeply on the lips, after they part again he slightly leans forward to catch them, before pulling back a little.

Hiccup: "-I could get used to it... Heh..."

Astrid: "You're a massive dork, but you definitely have your heart in the right place."

They both just giggle at that as they take a look around the Edge.