Off Time

"Hi Jihyo," Sana said, taking a seat in front of her friend as soon as she entered the restaurant.

"Hi Sana," Jihyo smiled and stood up to greet her friend. "How was the meeting?"

Sana scoffed at the memory and then let out a little laugh. "Well, it was one of those brands trying to clean their name. It was definitely a no-no."

"Oh, I'm sorry, but I know you'll get even better opportunities," Jihyo said reassuringly.

"Thanks," Sana replied, taking her friend's hands on the table. "See, that's the friend I know."

"What do you mean?" Jihyo asked, though deep down she knew her friends had a point about her behavior lately. Yet, those comments always seemed to annoy her for reasons she couldn't quite understand lately.

"Oh, nothing. I'm just happy to be with you," Sana tried to avoid any confrontation for now.

Before Jihyo could respond, the waiter arrived, and they started ordering their food. Both talked about random things and joked until the food came. It felt like old times, and Sana was enjoying it so much that she didn't want to bring up any uncomfortable topics. However, she knew she had to address her manager's concerns.

"Jihyo-ah, is everything okay?" Sana asked, taking a sip of her juice.

"Yes, Sana, everything is fine. Why are you asking?" Jihyo replied, masking her annoyance with a smile. She realized she might have been a bit harsh indeed.

"Well, it's nothing major. It's just that the manager mentioned she's a bit worried because you seem a bit off at work lately," Sana said, tapping her fingers on the table, anxious about her friend's reaction.

Jihyo was caught off guard. Was she doing something wrong?

"Why?, what did she tell you? Did I forget to bring something? Did I skip something? What's wrong? Tell me, Sana," Jihyo said in a rush, her words quick and nervous. Sana's concern grew.

"Calm down, I didn't say anything bad. She said you're doing everything right. It's just that you seem a bit distracted lately. Nothing major, just different from what she usually sees," Sana explained gently.

"Are you sure, Sana? Aren't you lying to me? What if I'm doing something wrong and leading the group poorly? You should tell me," Jihyo spoke with a heavy breath, her confusion evident.

"Yes, please calm down," Sana said, caressing her friend's arms when she noticed that Jihyo's reaction was getting out of hand. Thankfully, the gesture seemed to work, and Jihyo settled down again. "It's nothing big as far as I know. Don't worry too much, just talk to her later, okay?"

"Okay," Jihyo said, calmer this time. "Sorry about that," she added, and Sana gave her a reassuring smile.

"Don't worry about it. You know I'm here for you," Sana continued, soothingly caressing her friend's hands with her fingers.

Their meals came and they spent some time with a light conversation, exchanging thoughts and letting themselves loose, like they always are. Once they finished, they paid and walked towards the door.

"Have you plans with Mina today?" the Korean asked.

"Yeah, let's hope she's in the mood to leave her gaming session," Sana replied with a chuckle. "And you, what are you up to?"

"I'm actually going out with Nayeon and Jeongyeon. They invited me to do something," Jihyo answered, her mood lifting a bit.

"Have fun then," Sana said, genuinely pleased. "Enjoy your time with them."

"I will. And I'll see you later, okay?"

"Definitely," Sana affirmed, giving her friend a warm smile.

With that, Jihyo left the restaurant to join her friends, while Sana made plans in her mind to coax Mina out of her room later. As she walked back home, she couldn't shake off the nagging feeling that something was amiss with her friend. She resolved to talk to her later and offer whatever support she could.