chapter 6

Port of souls                                                                Lacey

I am not welcome in the castle anymore. I am not taking my chances. I am scared for my own life.

Maybe this is a blessing I always hoped to get out of the castle. A sense of freedom. Maybe they will send guards to think I was kidnaped. Cover up their attempted murder. Lowel never wanted me on the throne, he always believed he should be.

I am being followed. Maybe the palace guard who hopes to whisk me away under the blanket of darkness. Drag me far from my chance of fresh air. It was inevitable they would find me. But I had to try to find another to get me on the throne. To be able to decide what I want to do. How I would do that. I am unknown to the court my uncle had tried to shelter me from. I am unknown to the people I wish to rule over. I am unknown as the princess who was trying to kill. Unknown is the right word to sum me up.

I found myself drawn to the Port of Souls—a gritty haven for the dispossessed, away from the kingdom's scrutiny. The air, heavy with sea salt and desperation, met me as I stepped onto the worn docks.

The port sprawled like a decayed labyrinth, where dampness seeped into dilapidated buildings. Streets echoed with misery, littered with refuse and remnants of forgotten dreams. Hollow-eyed souls shuffled through narrow alleys, their hopes extinguished.

Navigating grimy pathways, I stumbled upon a shelter—a place where cleanliness was a distant memory. Holes and time's markings marred wooden panels, and a fractured bell conveyed the defeat that permeated the inn.

The gaunt innkeeper, indifferent and suspicious, offered a room. I hesitated, my gaze scanning the neglected space. "Yes, a room, please," I replied.

The tarnished key, a relic of transient guests, led me up the creaking staircase. Shadows danced, and paranoia settled in. The room's door groaned, revealing desolation mirroring the port. Musty odour hung heavy, threadbare curtains swayed, and broken window latches whispered tales of illusionary safety.

As I settled, the persistent feeling of being followed intensified. Every creak, every footstep heightened my unease. Shadows, once confined, converged with malevolent intent. staying at a rodent-infested, run-down pub. it has the right deterrence to say to a guard what a princess staying her no way. It has rickety floor boards- which you could see the grime, mould and mice teething at the bone. The dented golden bell. I tried to ring nearly disengaged when I touched it. Just to make it more welcome there were neglected fly infested animal carcasses scattered around in nooks and crevices.

Seeking refuge, I found myself entangled in the Port of Souls—a haven echoing inhabitants' desperation. The room symbolised the port's decay, a microcosm. Far from royal comforts, I grappled with tangible squalor and intangible darkness that whispered of secrets and shadows converging in this forsaken haven. A place where cruel evil people lay in hiding. Filled with murders and thieves. One-eyed pirates. A girl with white hair stood out quite a bit. I thought. With some extra coins I had in my pouch I paid for some dye.

It was a forgotten dreary place in the background of the coral town. No one would think a pretty law abiding princess would stay here. Would they? I say expert planning on my part.

I decided to explore my surroundings since I will be making a new life for myself here. I thought it was best to introduce myself. As I threaded through the meandering alleys of the Port of Souls, an unwelcome companion accompanied each hesitant step—a shadowy doubt that clung to me like the oppressive scent of salt in the air. The cobblestone streets, worn smooth by the countless souls that had passed before me, seemed to reflect the uneven journey I had chosen.