Wonwoo

I stood on the creaking front porch and hesitated. I'd made the trip and still didn't want to cross the threshold to the house I once called home. Sleepy Hollow came by its name, honestly. It was slow, quiet, and had completely bored teenage me out of my mind when we moved out here. I stared up at the baby blue, two-story house and felt a looming dread pool in my stomach.

"Are you going to stand out there all day or come in?"

"Oh, leave him alone, Bohyun," my mother chastised as she stepped to the screen door and smiled. "Hi, honey."

I smiled despite myself. "Hey, Mom."

She lit up and opened the door. Before I could say another word, she was in my arms. I hugged her back tightly and placed a kiss on the top of her head. I easily towered over her now, making me want to look after her even more. I had always been a mama's boy, even if our relationship could be...difficult.

"It's so good to see you! Why didn't you call?" she asked, tucking a brown strand of hair behind her ear. "I would have had lunch ready for you."

I waved a hand. "It's not an issue, Mom. I ate before I came." Her smile fell, and I quickly backpedaled. "But you know me. I'll be starving again in twenty minutes," I said, patting my stomach.

She lit right back up. "I'll make you one of those huge grinders you like."

My mouth watered, and I shook my head at myself. "I've missed the hell out of those. I'll take one."

I followed her into the house and closed the screen door behind me at the last second, making sure it didn't bang shut the way my father hated. Shuffling after her, I stepped into the living room, and nothing had changed. My father sat in his chair, a stack of books beside him but his gun out in front of him on the tray. He had taken it apart and was cleaning it when he glanced up at me.

"Wonwoo."

"Dad," I said back, mimicking his deadpan voice. "What are you doing?"

"What's it look like I'm doing?" he grunted.

He put the gun down and picked up his pack of cigarettes. I could already hear my mother groaning about the smell. He slid one out and stuffed it into his mouth before lighting it, and his gaze finally fell on me again.

"What do you need?"

I stiffened. "Can't I just want to come and visit my family?"

He blew out a cloud of smoke. "No."

He's as lovely as always.

I reached over and snagged one of his cigarettes. He looked like he wanted to smack my hand the way he used to when I was a child. Instead he simply grunted, let me take a smoke, and lit it. Nicotine rushed through my body. I was able to breathe and push down the urge to shove him out of that chair and pummel him until he stopped being such a dick.

You know he'd kick your ass. He might be older now, but that man is strong.

That thought made me feel small beneath his gaze. As it always did. I blew out a cloud of smoke, glanced over my shoulder to make sure my mother was out of earshot and stared at the old man.

"I need some of your old case files on the Kims. The chief has me working on them, and I figured you might have some things other people don't. Notes, recordings, anything."

He looked me up and down. "Leave it alone."

"I can't do that."

"Yes, you can," he said. "I doubt the chief has you working on anything like that. Do I need to call and ask?"