Chapter XVII

Year 846.

Wall Rose Territory

Y/N rode quickly toward his destination, clad in his Military Police uniform. When he reached the quaint cabin, he climbed down and tied his horse, Krista, to a sturdy post near the porch. He took a moment to stroke her neck, feeling the familiar warmth and comfort. Krista a beautiful mare with a glossy chestnut coat, nuzzled her head against his in return.

"You're a good girl, Krista," Y/N murmured. He patted her head affectionately before walking toward the porch.

A man emerged from the cabin rifle in hand. "Who's th--"

Y/N raised a hand in greeting, offering a polite smile. "Sir, it's good to see you again."

Heinrich Vogel his commander from the training corps, stood before him. Vogel was as stern and serious as ever, though his hair had more gray now, thanks to the stress of recent events no doubt. The commander was just a few centimeters taller than Y/N, but at 18 years old and an impressive 6'2" (188 cm), Y/N was nearly his equal in height.

Y/N's body bore the signs of his rigorous work. He had lost some weight due to the relentless pace and the aftermath of last year's horrors, but he remained strong and muscular. Despite its toll on him, he still looked handsome, a fact noted by many women at HQ and civilians alike, though it was of little interest to him.

Vogel set his rifle down and sighed. "Müller, what are you doing here?"

"I need your help, sir," Y/N replied earnestly.

Vogel looked skeptical. "I doubt an MP officer that ranked first in his division needs my help."

Y/N had exchanged letters with the commander last month, informing him of his recent promotion to captain.

"Please," Y/N implored.

Vogel sighed and motioned for him to sit, pulling two chairs onto the porch. Just then a voice called from inside the cabin. "Love? Who's that?"

Y/N's expression was unreadable but he stared at the happily married couple.

Vogel's wife stepped out onto the porch. Her name was Lisa, she was a woman in her mid-forties, with kind eyes and a warm smile. Her dark hair was streaked with silver, tied back in a neat bun. She wore a simple dress, suitable for the rural setting.

"Would you like something to eat?" she offered, her voice gentle and inviting.

Y/N glanced at her, appreciating her kindness. "Thank you, ma'am. That would be nice."

Lisa disappeared inside and returned shortly with a tray of bread, cheese, and cold cuts, along with a pitcher of water and two glasses. She set the tray down on a small table between the chairs.

Vogel looked at Y/N with concern. "So, what is it you've been considering, given the... recent events? That's what you said in your letter."

"I'm leaving the MP," Y/N said. "I'm wasting my time there."

Vogel looked up, considering the young captain. "I see. That makes sense. So, what do you need help with?"

"I can't join the Survey Corps...not yet at least." Y/N looked into the distance, taking a bite of the bread and cheese. The bread was freshly baked, crusty on the outside, soft and warm inside. The cheese, a rich and creamy variety, melted perfectly on his tongue.

"My sister would never approve of it. She has made that clear enough. And, well, I'd be wasting my time in the Garrison as well, despite how much men are needed."