Chapter XIX

Two months later...

Mikasa's routine had remained the same. Every morning, she waited for Eren and Armin outside the boys' barracks. Captain Müller allowed it, so there was no issue with her presence. The boys often mocked Eren for having Mikasa wait for him, but she didn't understand why nor did she care.

This morning, though, something was off. No one had come out yet. Usually Jean would stumble out with a red face stuttering when talking to her but always bickering with Eren. Today not even Jean had come to say hello.

Mikasa knocked on the barracks door, but there was no response. She sighed and headed back to the girls' barracks. Of all the girls, she got along best with Sasha. Sasha was silly but nice and kind, and Mikasa appreciated her goofy antics and words.

Sasha greeted her cheerfully, "Good morning, Mikasa!"

In her usual flat tone, Mikasa asked, "Where are the boys... actually... where's everyone?"

There were no other girls in the barracks except Sasha who was munching on a cookie.

Mikasa sighed. "You stole that cookie from Krista."

Sasha looked guilty and replied, "Eh... no... I borrowed it from her nightstand... um..."

Mikasa gave her a flat look. "Whatever... where is everyone?"

Sasha's face brightened with realization. "Oh! Right, you were taking a bath when Mina came in shouting excitedly."

"About what?" Mikasa asked.

"Well, Captain Y/N and Reiner are competing! Everyone went to the training yard to see," Sasha explained.

"Thank you. Bye," Mikasa said, turning to leave.

As she walked away, Sasha discreetly tried to reach for Mikasa's nightstand to take the strawberry cookie given to her last night at dinner.

Without looking back, Mikasa spoke, "Enough, Sasha."

Sasha gulped and yelped, "Yes, ma'am!"

.

❛ ━━・ (🛠️🔬💡 🧪)・━━ ❜

.

The training yard was filled with excitement as the recruits gathered in a tight circle, fighting for a better view. Mikasa pushed through others to see what was happening. She spotted Eren and Armin near the front, both cheering enthusiastically.

In the center of the circle, Captain Y/N and Reiner were engaged in a squatting contest. Jean and Marco stood nearby, adding weights to the piles each time they completed another set. The weights were made up of sandbags, metal plates, and other heavy items stacked precariously.

Mikasa finally reached Eren and Armin. "Good morning, Eren, Armin."

Eren gave a quick smile before turning back to the spectacle. Armin beamed at her. "Good morning! We were—"

Eren interrupted, "No way! It's Captain Y/N's 36th squat!"

Y/N turned to Reiner with a tired smile. "Giving up, Braun?"

Reiner chuckled, breathless. "No sir, I won't."

Reiner matched the squat with a bit more difficulty, and the crowd erupted in cheers. Bets were being placed among the recruits, adding to the fervor.