Chapter XXVIII

This is one of my favorite chapters yet, you'll see why

.

❛ ━━・ (🛠️🔬💡 🧪)・━━ ❜

.

Y/N stepped into the courtroom, taking in the crowd. Civilians from Trost were mixed with the finely dressed citizens from Wall Sina. He guessed some might have been bribed by the Military Police, given the expressions—some eager, some indifferent, and others outright hostile. Representatives from all military branches were present: Survey Corps, Military Police, and Garrison.

At the head of the room sat Darius Zackly, the general overseeing the three military branches. He looked every bit the tired, old man he was, with sunken eyes behind glasses, noticeable wrinkles, and gray hair. He wore a brown trench coat adorned with a black shield emblem over a plain white shirt and dark pants.

In the center of the room, Eren knelt in chains bound to a post.

Zackly glanced up as Y/N approached. "Who are you, sorry?"

"Y/N Müller," Y/N said clearly. "Captain of the 104th Recruit South Division and former officer of the Military Police."

Some of the Military Police men in the room gave Y/N looks of recognition, and he quickly added, "Soon to be Captain of the Survey Corps."

A few people scoffed and murmured among themselves.

Zackly nodded. "Very well." He motioned to the sides where the Survey Corps leadership stood. "Go ahead."

Y/N's eyes swept the room and landed on a familiar face. No way. Levi, from that mission Y/N had underground years ago.

"Levi? Is that you?" Y/N said cheerfully, startling the room. "Remember that mission underground? You punched me and ran off with that gold! Where are Furlan and Isabel? And how did you join the Survey Corps? You know you have to return that gold, right? It's illegal!"

Erwin looked exasperated. Levi facepalmed and muttered, "Shut the hell up, Müller."

Elisse hissed from the other side, mortified and embarrassed. "Shut up!"

Y/N blushed, realizing he had spoken out of turn. He looked at Zackly now writing something down. The Survey Corps members assumed it wasn't in their favor.

Zackly gave Y/N a flat look, then read his notes. "We have an extraordinary case here. Eren Jaeger," he began, shifting to a more formal tone. "Eren Jaeger, born and raised in Shiganshina District. Son of Dr. Grisha Jaeger and Carla Jaeger. Current age, 15. Cadet in the 104th Training Corps. Displayed exceptional abilities during the Battle of Trost, including the transformation into a Titan."

He continued, "This court-martial is to determine the fate of Eren Jaeger. The charges include the unauthorized use of Titan powers, potential threat to civilian and military safety, and the question of his loyalty to humanity. The process will involve testimonies from various military branches, including the Survey Corps, Military Police, and Garrison. We will also hear from civilians and witnesses present during the Battle of Trost."

Zackly turned his gaze to Eren. "Eren Jaeger, do you have any questions regarding the charges or the process of this trial?"

Eren shook his head, his chains rattling slightly. "No, sir."

Zackly nodded. "You are obligated to answer all questions truthfully and to the best of your knowledge. Your conduct during this trial will be taken into consideration when determining your fate."