Chapter XXV

Year 850...

Y/N sat in Petra Ral's home in Trost. Her father, a kind and middle-aged man was serving them freshly baked bread, warm soup, and slices of roasted meat.

Petra's father fussed over them, ensuring they had everything they needed. "Y/N, it's so good to see you again. Petra always speaks so fondly of you. Even after all these years, she remembers her training days with you vividly."

Petra sighed and gave her father a gentle nudge. "Father, please. Y/N said he has something important to discuss."

Y/N smiled politely at Petra's father. He had experienced such overbearing kindness before.

As Petra's father finally gave them some space, Y/N looked at the food on his plate. "Recruits graduate in a few weeks. Once that's done, I'll be joining the Survey Corps."

Petra stopped eating, her eyes widening in concern. "Your sister won't like it."

Y/N's expression hardened. "I don't remember asking for her permission or her opinion. She made it clear enough with her constant accusations. I love her, of course, but I'm done letting her stop me from helping people more directly."

Petra poked at her food with her fork, resting her elbow on the table. "You've changed,"

Y/N nodded. "We all have, Petra. The world isn't the same as it used to be. We can't stay the same either."

Petra sighed. "I guess you're right... At least Oulo, Nifa, and I will have you with us again! Even Oulo says from time to time that he misses you."

Y/N blinked in surprise. "He does? He wasn't very fond of me during training."

"You said it yourself, we all change." Petra winked.

After a while Y/N put down his fork and looked at Petra. "There's more I need to discuss with you. It's about the recruits and some concerns I have."

Petra nodded, "I'm listening."

Y/N reached into his jacket pocket and pulled out a few folded sheets of paper. He unfolded them carefully, smoothing out the creases before handing them over to Petra.

Petra took the papers, her brow furrowing as she started to read. "What are these?"

"Concerns I've been documenting about some of the recruits," Y/N explained. "I have a feeling that there's more going on than meets the eye. Their behavior, their responses during training... something doesn't add up."

Petra glanced up at him, then back at the papers. "You've always had a keen eye for detail. What specifically are you worried about?"

Y/N leaned in lowering his voice. "There are a few recruits whose backgrounds don't entirely check out. Their skills are advanced, far beyond what we'd expect. And then there are their reactions during certain exercises—it's almost like they're hiding something."

Petra's eyes scanned the documents, "You think they might be lying? Or maybe they've had combat experience before joining the cadets?"

"That's what I'm trying to figure out," Y/N said. "But I need someone I trust to help me keep an eye on them once they graduate should they go to the survey corps, more eyes than mine and all."

Petra looked up from the papers, her eyebrows furrowed. "Any names yet?" she asked.

Y/N shifted uncomfortably and handed her another set of papers. "A few," he said. "And... thoughts I write in my free time."