Chapter 18

Lia sat nervously in the pristine waiting room, her fingers intertwined with Mrs. Evelyn's. The weight of the appointment and its implications pressed heavily on her, though she tried to mask her anxiety.

"I'm so excited for you and my son. I always knew you were the one," Evelyn said, her voice filled with warmth and pride. Lia had been hesitant about inviting Evelyn, but her mother-in-law's support was comforting.

"Thank you for coming. I'm going to surprise him with the ultrasound pictures and everything," Lia replied, a small smile playing on her lips despite her nerves.

The door opened, and a young doctor entered. His white coat was crisp, and his demeanor professional yet kind. "Hello, I'm Dr. Alex Rodriguez. It looks like you're about eight weeks along. Let's check out the heartbeat," he said, applying the cooling gel to Lia's stomach.

As Dr. Rodriguez moved the ultrasound wand, Evelyn's eyes widened slightly. Something about the young doctor's eyes reminded her of Maria Gotti, Lia's mother. It was a fleeting resemblance, but enough to stir a sense of curiosity and a spark of spite.

"You're a little young to be a doctor. Your parents must be very proud," Evelyn remarked, her eyes searching his face for more clues, a plan already forming in her mind. She despised Maria Gotti, and if this boy was her son, it could be leverage Evelyn might need in the future.

Dr. Rodriguez smiled politely, focusing on the screen. "Strong heartbeat. Everything looks good. Make sure you take your prenatal vitamins and avoid stress; your blood pressure is a bit high. If it continues, you may need bed rest," he advised. "As for my parents, I don't know them. I was adopted. But my adoptive parents are proud."

Evelyn's heart skipped a beat at his words. She knew this could be valuable information, but she decided to keep it to herself for now. She nodded, hiding her true thoughts behind a warm smile.

Dr. Rodriguez handed them the ultrasound pictures. "Enjoy the rest of your day," he said, leaving the room. As he walked away, he glanced back, the two women seeming oddly familiar, but the memory eluded him.

Lia and Evelyn left the clinic, the weight of the day's revelations heavy on them. Lia held the ultrasound pictures, her emotions a whirlwind of excitement and anxiety.

"Do you think he'll be happy?" Lia asked, her voice tinged with uncertainty.

"Of course, he will. A baby is a blessing, and East loves you more than anything," Evelyn reassured her, though her mind was still turning over the strange familiarity she felt with Dr. Rodriguez. Her thoughts were dark, considering how she could use this information against Maria Gotti if the need arose.

Later that evening, Lia prepared to surprise East with the news. She set the table with their favorite meal, the ultrasound pictures carefully placed beside his plate. Her heart raced as she heard the front door open.

"Hey, babe," East called, his voice weary from the day's events.

"In here," Lia replied, trying to keep her voice steady.

East walked into the dining room, his eyes widening in surprise at the sight of the beautifully set table. "What's all this?" he asked, a smile tugging at his lips.

"I have something to show you," Lia said, handing him the ultrasound pictures.

East's eyes scanned the images, his expression shifting from confusion to joy. "You're pregnant?" he asked, his voice thick with emotion.

Lia nodded, tears welling up in her eyes. "Yes. Eight weeks."

East pulled her into his arms, holding her close. "I told you, Lia. I'm so happy," he murmured against her hair.