Chapter 29

Lia felt a knot of anxiety in her stomach as she and East got dressed for the Luke's family dinner. She adjusted her dress for the tenth time, feeling the weight of her unborn daughter shifting within her. East's family dinners were always tense, but tonight felt different, more ominous. Still, she trusted East to protect her at all costs.

"Come on, babe, finish up your makeup and stuff," East said gently, rubbing her swollen belly.

Lia smiled softly, placing a hand over his. "Please don't wake her, she finally went to sleep." She continued to fix her hair, trying to focus on the mundane task to calm her nerves.

As they drove to his parents' house, the silence between them was comfortable yet heavy with unspoken worries. East's grip on her hand was firm, his thumb gently stroking her knuckles.

 East's grip on her hand was firm, his thumb gently stroking her knuckles

When they arrived, East held onto Lia tightly, his eyes scanning the surroundings with a protective intensity

When they arrived, East held onto Lia tightly, his eyes scanning the surroundings with a protective intensity. "You alright, baby?" she asked, noticing the shift in his demeanor.

"Yeah, just stay close to me tonight," he replied, his voice calm but with an edge of caution.

They entered his parents' grand house, the familiar opulence doing little to ease Lia's discomfort. The large dining room was already set, and Evelyn and Frank stood to greet them, their faces lighting up with practiced smiles.

"Easton, Lia, it's so good to see you," Evelyn said, her voice warm but with an underlying tension. She kissed East on the cheek and embraced Lia gently, her eyes briefly flickering to Lia's belly.

"Mom, Dad," East greeted them, his tone polite but guarded.

As they sat at the dinner table, the atmosphere felt thick with unsaid words and hidden motives. Evelyn and Frank's happiness seemed genuine, but there was an undercurrent of something more—something dangerous.

"So, how have you been, son? How's the recovery?" Frank asked, his tone almost too casual.

"Getting better every day," East replied, his hand never leaving Lia's.

Lia could feel the eyes on her, evaluating, judging. She focused on her plate, trying to calm her nerves. She knew that tonight was about more than just a family gathering; it was a test, a subtle power play that she had to navigate carefully.