Chapter 9

As Lia got ready for the rehearsal dinner, she felt the weight of anticipation settling on her shoulders like a heavy shroud. Despite her desire to be punctual, the need for perfection compelled her to meticulously apply her makeup, each brushstroke a testament to her determination to ensure everything was flawless.

"You look pretty. Why do you keep putting makeup on?" East's voice broke through the silence, his hands occupied with fixing his watch.

Lia's frustration bubbled to the surface, her nerves frayed from the pressure of the impending event. "Because I need my makeup to stay put. Leave me alone. I need everything to be perfect," she snapped, her tone sharper than she intended, the stress of the situation weighing heavily on her.

"Well, if we're late, it's on you!" East's retort was tinged with irritation, the tension between them palpable as they prepared to leave.

Despite their best efforts, they were a few minutes behind schedule by the time they arrived at the rehearsal dinner. Their guests had already gathered, their murmured conversations filling the air with a sense of anticipation.

Greeting everyone with forced smiles, Lia and East took their seats at the head of the table, their nerves still raw from the tension between them

Greeting everyone with forced smiles, Lia and East took their seats at the head of the table, their nerves still raw from the tension between them. As the evening progressed, East rose to address their guests, his voice tinged with warmth despite the underlying strain between them.

"Thank you, everyone, for coming, and enjoy this new union we have. We appreciate y'all," East spoke, his words a gentle reminder of the significance of the occasion, despite the imperfections that marred their journey to this point.

As they settled in for dinner, Lia couldn't shake the feeling of unease that gnawed at her, something was off.

The evening had settled into a steady rhythm, the sounds of clinking glasses and low murmurs creating a background hum that seemed almost soothing

The evening had settled into a steady rhythm, the sounds of clinking glasses and low murmurs creating a background hum that seemed almost soothing. Yet, for Lia, every note of the orchestra and every polite laugh felt like a knife's edge. The rehearsal dinner was supposed to be a celebration, a prelude to her wedding with East. Instead, it felt like a prelude to disaster.

Lia stood at the open bar, swirling the wine in her glass and taking measured sips in a vain attempt to calm her nerves. Beside her, Mariah watched with a mixture of concern and curiosity.