Chapter 28

Two weeks had passed since the home invasion, and Lia still struggled to adjust to her new life in the Manhattan penthouse. It was a stunning space, high above the city with breathtaking views, but it didn't feel like home. Her estate in New Jersey had been her sanctuary, but after everything that had happened, it no longer felt safe. The constant anxiety weighed on her, made heavier by her father's kidnapping and the unresolved tensions with her family.

"Lia, it's coming together. Varsity is her name?" Mariah asked, her voice a gentle reminder of happier things to come.

 Varsity is her name?" Mariah asked, her voice a gentle reminder of happier things to come

Lia cradled her belly, feeling the baby move within her. She was just two months away from her due date on Christmas. "Yeah, something different. I can't believe I'm having a baby girl. I don't want this life for her, Mariah. It's dangerous, and I just don't want this for her. Still, my dad is missing, me and my mom barely speak, and I'm trying to build a relationship with my brother." Her voice broke slightly as she spoke, feeling the weight of her worries.

Mariah hugged her tightly. "Look, I know this isn't what you wanted, but you're blessed to have your husband still alive and a healthy, beautiful baby girl coming. We just have to make the best of everything."

They continued working on the nursery, a small haven of peace amidst the chaos. Soft pastels adorned the walls, and plush toys were scattered around, each detail meticulously planned by Lia and Mariah. Lia placed her wedding picture in the room, hoping it would symbolize the love and stability she wanted for her daughter.

"They should be here any minute now," Mariah said, adjusting a framed picture on the wall.

"Okay, thank you again for everything and on such short notice," Lia replied, gratitude evident in her voice.

East and Tory entered the penthouse, bringing a sense of security with them. East moved slowly, still recovering from his injuries, but his determination was unmistakable.

"Lia, we're here. You alright, bro?" Tory asked, supporting East as they made their way to the living area.

"Yeah, thank you, bro," East replied, his voice steady but laced with pain.

Lia and Mariah joined them, and Lia felt a rush of emotion as she kissed East. It felt like an eternity since she had seen him, even though she visited him every day in the hospital.

"I missed you, my love," she whispered in his ear, her voice soft and filled with longing.

"I'm here now. I'm not going anywhere," East assured her, his arms wrapping around her in a protective embrace.

As they settled into the living area, Tory took a seat nearby, always vigilant. Mariah excused herself to give them some privacy, knowing they needed this moment to reconnect.

"East, the nursery is ready. It's beautiful," Lia said, trying to shift the conversation to something positive.

"I'm glad. I wanted it to be perfect for our little girl," East replied, his eyes softening at the mention of their daughter.

Lia felt a surge of hope. Despite the chaos surrounding them, there was still a future to look forward to. "I can't believe she'll be here so soon. I just want her to be safe, East."

"She will be, Lia. I promise you that. We're going to protect her, no matter what," East said firmly, his determination unwavering.

Evelyn and Frank Luke sat in their dining room, the air thick with unspoken tension. The clinking of silverware on porcelain was the only sound that broke the silence as they ate their dinner, each lost in their thoughts.

Frank broke the silence, his voice tight with barely restrained anger. "Easton was released from the hospital and moved. Do you know where he is, Evelyn?"

Evelyn looked up, meeting her husband's glare with a mixture of sadness and resignation. "I don't know, Frank. He's been very secretive lately. This is not like him, but he's protecting his wife and unborn child."

Frank's fist clenched around his fork, the muscles in his jaw working as he struggled to contain his frustration. "He's our son, Evelyn. We should know where he is."

Evelyn sighed, her heart heavy with the distance that had grown between her and East since the home invasion. She had always been close to her son, but now he was a stranger, guarding his new family fiercely, shutting her out.

As she continued to eat, her phone buzzed with a message. She glanced down and saw Tony's name on the screen. The text was short but ominous: "Plan a family dinner for us, let's finish this."

Evelyn felt a pang of regret wash over her. The plan she had set in motion weeks ago was reaching its climax, but the cost was higher than she had anticipated. She had thought she could control the outcome, that she could protect East and still achieve her goals. But now, as the pieces moved into place, she realized just how little control she had.

She looked across the table at Frank, who was watching her with suspicion. He knew something was up, but he didn't know the full extent of her involvement. Not yet, at least.

"I'll arrange dinner," she said, her voice barely above a whisper. "But, Frank, you need to trust me. East is doing what he thinks is best for his family. We have to respect that."

Frank's expression softened slightly, but his eyes remained hard. "Just make sure it doesn't blow back on us, Evelyn. We've worked too hard to lose everything now."

Evelyn nodded, her mind already racing with plans. She needed to find a way to bring everyone together without raising suspicion, to execute Tony's orders while keeping her family safe. It was a delicate balance, one she wasn't sure she could maintain.

After dinner, Evelyn retreated to her study, closing the door behind her. She stared at her phone, the weight of her decisions pressing down on her. She had to call East, to warn him somehow, but she knew he wouldn't take her call. Not after everything that had happened.

Instead, she typed out a message, hoping he would read between the lines: "Family dinner this weekend."

She sent the message, feeling a sense of dread settle over her. There was no turning back now. The wheels were in motion, and all she could do was hope that her son would understand the warning and take the necessary precautions.

As she sat back in her chair, Evelyn felt a tear slip down her cheek. She wiped it away angrily. There was no room for weakness, not now. She had made her choices, and she had to see them through to the end, no matter the cost.

Like
Comment
Vote