Chapter 22

East sat in his dimly lit office at the back of The Velvet Room, the night club that served as the front for his family's extensive criminal enterprise

East sat in his dimly lit office at the back of The Velvet Room, the night club that served as the front for his family's extensive criminal enterprise. The air was thick with the smell of weed and the muted hum of conversations and jazz music from the main room. He leaned back in his chair, his mind a tangled web of conflicting loyalties and impossible decisions.

"Why do you think they called this meeting?" Tory asked, leaning against the doorframe, his brow furrowed with concern.

East glanced up, momentarily pulled from his reverie. The question lingered in the air, heavy with unspoken implications. His thoughts drifted back to the conversation he'd had with his mother just days before. She had made it clear what she expected of him: to end his father's life and seize control of the family business. It was an unthinkable betrayal, but in their world, family and power were often at odds.

"Something to do with my wife's father," East finally replied, his voice edged with frustration. "He wants him gone. Pops and moms both been putting me in awkward situations."

Before Tory could respond, the door swung open and Frank, East's father, strode in, flanked by his brother. The atmosphere shifted immediately, the air charged with authority and tension.

"Let's get to it, fellas," Frank said, wasting no time. "I need John Gotti gone. I don't care how it's done or who does it, just do it!"

East felt a wave of anger rise within him. He slammed his hands on the desk as he stood up, his chair skidding back. "How do you expect me to do this? I married his daughter. The daughter *you* arranged for me to marry, who's now pregnant with our child. You expect me to kill her father and then lay next to her every night?!"

Frank's eyes narrowed, but before he could respond, his brother stepped in. "Gentlemen, let's sit," he said calmly, taking a seat himself. The contrast between his measured tone and the volatility of the situation was striking. "I know you're frustrated, East. This is hard to ask of you, but this was always the plan. You marry Aaliyah Gotti, she has your children, the debt owed to your father is settled, and unfortunately, her father must be gone. It's just the way we agreed. Now, is that understood?"

East felt his jaw tighten, his hands clenching into fists at his sides. He looked at Tory, who shared his frustration but remained silent. There was no arguing with them; the decision had been made long ago, and in their world, plans and promises were ironclad.

With a reluctant nod, East signaled his acquiescence. Frank and his uncle rose from their seats, satisfied. As they left the office, East's anger boiled over. He grabbed the glass on his desk and hurled it against the wall, the shattering sound echoing his internal turmoil.

"FUCK!" he shouted, his voice raw with emotion. The room fell silent, the only sound the distant murmur of the club outside.

Tory approached cautiously. "What now?"

East took a deep breath, his mind racing. "Put a plan in motion," he said quietly, the weight of the decision heavy on his shoulders.

"On it now," Tory responded, pulling out his phone to set the wheels in motion.

As Tory left the room, East sank back into his chair, running a hand through his hair. His thoughts turned to Aaliyah, her laughter, her smile, and the child growing inside her. He had been thrust into an impossible situation, forced to navigate the treacherous waters of loyalty, love, and duty. The path ahead was dark and uncertain, but one thing was clear: the ties that bound him were growing tighter, and the cost of breaking free would be steep.

He closed his eyes, the weight of his father's demands settling over him like a suffocating shroud. In their world, sacrifices were inevitable, and East was beginning to realize just how much he would have to give up to protect the ones he loved.

 In their world, sacrifices were inevitable, and East was beginning to realize just how much he would have to give up to protect the ones he loved

Lia sat in her master bedroom, the glow from her iPad illuminating her face as she scrolled through her Pinterest mood board for the nursery. She was still in the early stages of her pregnancy, but the excitement of becoming a mother filled her with a joy that was impossible to contain. Ideas for both a boy and a girl's room swirled in her mind, each one more perfect than the last.

The sound of the door opening drew her attention, and she looked up to see East entering their bedroom, his expression weary. "Babe, what are you still doing up?" he asked, his voice soft but tinged with exhaustion.

Lia's face lit up as she saw him. "I was waiting for you. I wanted to show you something." She watched as East began to undress, shedding the clothes that marked the end of another long day.

East forced a smile as he climbed into bed beside her, his mind still reeling from the meeting with his father and uncle. He looked at her, his heart aching at the thought of what he was being asked to do. Lia, so innocent and full of dreams, didn't deserve any of this. She didn't ask for this life, and it was his job to protect her, not to break her heart.

"Okay, look," Lia said, her excitement bubbling over as she turned the iPad towards him. "If we have a girl, this is how her room would be. And if we have a boy, this is how his room would be. Do you like it?"

East glanced at the images, the carefully curated pictures of nurseries filled with soft pastels and whimsical decor. He could see the love and thought Lia had put into every detail, and it broke his heart even more. He was supposed to protect her, to keep her safe, and yet he was being pulled deeper into a world that threatened to destroy everything they had built together.

"Babe, are you listening to me?" Lia's voice pulled him from his thoughts, her tone a mix of curiosity and slight frustration.

"Yeah, I love both of them. And I love you," East said, his voice sincere as he met her gaze. Her hazel eyes were filled with love and hope, and he felt a pang of guilt for the secrets he was keeping.

"I love you too, baby," Lia whispered, leaning in to kiss him good night. Her lips were soft against his, and for a moment, the weight of the world seemed to lift, leaving only the warmth of their connection.

As Lia settled down to sleep, East lay awake, his mind racing. He turned on his side to watch her, the gentle rise and fall of her breathing a stark contrast to the storm brewing inside him. How could he balance the demands of his family with his duty to protect Lia and their unborn child? The stakes were higher than ever, and the choices he made in the coming days would define their future.

East knew he needed to find a way out, a path that would allow him to fulfill his obligations without destroying the life he and Lia were building. It wouldn't be easy, but for her, for their child, he would find a way. He had to.

Like
Comment
Vote