( XXIX )

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃══════ ∘◦ ᓚᘏᗢ ◦∘ ══════

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃
══════ ∘◦ ᓚᘏᗢ ◦∘ ══════

IT WAS QUIET, tranquil. White snowflakes drifted past the windows slowly collecting inches on the ground to set stage for a picture-perfect winter. It was Thursday. A few minutes of respite in the break room before you were obligated to venture off for undercover work.

Shouta was the only one with you. He sat to your left, tired, with flawed posture, a slight hunch to his shoulders. His long, dark lashes cast soft shadows on his cheeks, framing the downward gaze at his mug. The purple bruise on his cheekbone had almost faded completely. He gently blew away the wisps of steam, a simple act that only made you more charmed.

While trying to seem nonchalant, curiosity got the best of you to finally ask, "Are you going to come with us for New Year's?"

His reddened eyes lifted from the ripples in the coffee to you. "Hm?"

You blinked and waited, expecting Shouta to explain that the hum was his way of expressing that he didn't want to go. Except the absent recognition never faltered and a sarcastic explanation never came. Your heartbeat picked up anxiously.

"...Did Nemuri not tell you yet?"

He shrugged, attention back on the coffee. "I have no idea what you're talking about," he said.

Okay, I guess I'm asking him myself.

Unease spread through you at the weight of your new task: Invite Shouta to New Year's celebrations and pray for a yes. You felt like you were fumbling through words, your face was uncomfortably hot the whole time. It got even worse when he raised a narrow brow like he was more amused by your clumsy invitation than the idea of actually participating.

Given up attempting, you instead asked bluntly, "Will you come?"

He scratched the back of his neck. Losing eye contact, he said, "I might be busy that day."

You frowned and made a bit of a show out of your tail and ears dropping simultaneously. His eyes shifted by a millimeter which told you that he had caught the motion from his peripheral view. Shouta sighed before muttering in defeat. "Or not."

"You should come."

"It's not my thing."

"I know," you said, still begging 'please' with your eyes. Even knowing he'd see right through it, you added a bat of your lashes for good measure.

His expression remained flat. "And yet..."

"I'm asking you anyway."

"Why?"

"Why?" you echoed, confused.

He turned his body to face you before asking simply, "Why do you want me to go?"