☾ 7

We arrived in New York City, and this time I got us rooms in a nice five star hotel so I didn't have to hear anyone's mouth. It was funny. Everyone came from a poor upbringing except for Sage, Maddox and Aspen yet they acted like they couldn't stay in a somewhat sh-tty motel. I'm sure they had lived in way worse conditions, but there was no need in arguing. I agreed that I'd rather stay somewhere overly nice than a dump.

When we arrived, I was wide awake and so was Maddox. We put our luggage in our room, and then my son and I headed out for our mother and son day in Central Park. Aspen and Athena were supposed to be coming along separately as well, but the two losers were asleep in the hotel room. We'd probably meet up a bit later. What everyone else was doing was beyond me. New York City was a big place so I was sure by now the Merricks were spread all around the area.

"So, while I was gone, what was the most interesting thing that happened," I asked Maddox as we walked through the park. My arm was draped around his shoulder as I kept him close. Some of these people looked a bit sketchy and if one of them touched my kid then it was going to be attempted or 1st degree murder.

Maddox looked at me with a glow in his eyes. He was so excited to finally be spending time with just me. We used to have days like this all the time, but of course they ceased once I went back to Chicago. Now, although, I didn't plan on leaving my family for that long ever again. "Well, my team almost won the championship," he told me a bit solemnly. "The other team made a goal at the last minute. I think we need a new goalie."

"Don't worry, if you keep playing hard you'll win something. You're only a kid, just wait until you start playing in middle school and high school! There will be many opportunities for you, just think of this as training with the chumps. You're an amazing player and I'll always be here to support you, from now on. I promise," I told him as I ruffled his chestnut hair. He smiled but then his smile faded. "What's wrong, buddy?"

"Can we sit down," he asked me as he looked over to a free bench. I nodded my head and escorted him to take a seat. We sat there for a few moments without saying a word. I watched as happy families walked by and I smiled a little. Maybe we could be like that one day. Athena and I had our good days of course, but it would be nice to have that perfect family where nothing ever goes wrong. "What do you really do in Chicago," Maddox asked curiously after a while. I raised my brows at Maddox as I looked at him. Damn, I wasn't expecting that question. I guess my whole 'running a business' thing I had going on wasn't cutting it with Maddox. "It's weird that your friends go everywhere you go. I like them but it's kind of weird."

I sat there quietly as I thought about how I could explain what I did in Chicago to Maddox. Part of me didn't want to tell him, but I felt like he deserved to know. He was a smart kid and I knew he would understand. "I asked mommy but she told me to ask you. She wouldn't tell me anything," Maddox further explained. "It's okay if you don't want to tell me. I was just curious."

"Maddox," I said after a long and exaggerated sigh, "You know how I smoke marijuana, right? How your mommy doesn't like that?" He nodded his head confusingly, probably trying to figure out what that had to do with anything. "Marijuana is a drug, right? It's bad for you. Drugs are substances that people get addicted to. There's cocaine, marijuana, LSD, ecstasy and heroin—just to name a few. There are people out there that sell these bad drugs to people for money. They give the drugs to others so they can get high. These people are called drug dealers."

"So, you're a drug dealer," Maddox concluded.

I chucked a bit and shook my head. "I used to be one, but now I run the drug dealers. I've been in charge for more than ten years now. I'm kind of like the boss of them. At least, I was. I put that all aside a few days ago for you, your mommy and Aspen. I quit so I could be here with you guys. Maddox, I've hurt people. I've killed people. I'm not proud of that, but I love you so much. I love Athena. I love Aspen. I love my family. I'm here now and I'm ready to cut anything out for you guys."