☾ 10

It was going to take us thirteen hours to get to Chicago. Luckily, I didn't have to drive. Jamal was in the driver's seat as Noa sat in the passenger's seat. It seemed like everyone was surprised by Athena wanting to go back to Chicago, just like me. She was excited although. All morning, she talked on the bus about how much she couldn't wait. We'd get in Chicago around nine at night, sleep and then go to Athena's old place which her father had fixed up. All of Athena's friends were supposed to be in attendance along with her father. It'd be a nice way to see everyone and see what they were up to.

I sat on the bus with Aspen on my lap. She was giggling and playing with my cheeks as I made funny faces at her. Maddox was sitting beside me with my arm around him. He was resting upon me, half asleep but still able to play his little handheld gaming system. Athena was across from us sitting beside Tessa. They were talking, probably catching up. I wasn't really paying attention. After our little ice skating date yesterday, I doubted Athena had any feelings for Tessa. She couldn't. She looked way too happy with me.

"You stopped making silly faces, Daddy," Aspen screamed at me. I chuckled a bit and looked at her. I must've zoned out, too busy looking at the two reunited exes across from us. To make Aspen happy, I gave her another stupid little face. She giggled and wrapped her arms around me to hug my neck. I smiled softly and ran my hand down her small back. "Can we color?!"

"Sure, go get your crayons and book, princess," I told her. She quickly got off my lap and started running to get her things. I looked down at Maddox and kissed his forehead. "What are you playing, little man?"

"Grand Theft Auto. Is it really this crazy in real life," he asked me as he looked up to me.

"What do you mean," I asked him with my brows furrowed. Aspen came over and sat back in my lap. She handed me a green crayon and picked out a page that we could color. "Bumblebees aren't green, princess."

"This one is!" One thing I've learned, never argue with Princess Aspen. I began coloring in the lines as she scribbled all over the bee with her purple crayon.

"I mean, like, when you kill people. Is it really bloody?" Maddox put down his game and gave me his full attention. I swallowed hard, not sure how to answer that question. "Do you feel bad afterwards? Or do you feel good?"

"It depends," I decided to answer honestly. "Killing people isn't easy and it isn't something that is normal. I never want you to have to take another person's life. It's not healthy for you, and obviously the victim. It can get bloody and graphic. It all depends on how you finish them off. Sometimes I've felt bad, but most of the times I just felt indifferent. Like it was a job, so you know, it had to be done. I've only felt good a few times, but that was when I was getting revenge like when a couple of guys hurt your mommy."

"My mommy got hurt," he asked with confusion.

"Before you were born."

"How? What happened!?"

"She was attacked," is all I said quietly. Even though, the whole Michaela thing happened years ago, it still stung. It still hurt that I wasn't there to prevent it. Athena was raped because of me. She nearly died because of me. "Let's talk about something happier, yeah?"

"Like rainbows," Aspen jumped in the conversation.

"You're gay," I told my daughter. She just looked at me with confusion before going back to color our green and purple bumblebee.

"It's all done," she suddenly screamed. "We have to show it to Mommy!" Aspen grabbed the coloring book, jumped off my lap and ran over to Tessa and Athena. I watched as she rambled about what the colors meant. Athena picked her up, and Tessa began complimenting her picture. I rolled my eyes and looked back at Maddox.