☾ 15

At dinner, I looked down at my plate like an idiot. I couldn't even look my wife in her own eyes. If she knew about what I had done to Tessa, she would leave me in a heartbeat. How could I do something so stupid and careless? What the hell was going through my mind?! Oh yeah, nothing! It was one of my stupid blackouts and I guess I had a feeling to be revengeful last night and earlier today. Seeing Athena just made everything come to perspective. The horrible realization of what I did haunted me so badly that I could barely touch my food. Who was I becoming? I've been through depression before but nothing this bad. Maybe I was finally going crazy. It's about time all the f-cked up sh-t caught up to me.

"Kai, baby, are you okay?" My eyes finally looked up from the plate full of gourmet fettuccine alfredo and towards my beautiful wife. She had got all dressed up for our dinner and so had I. I decided to take her somewhere upper class and fancy, but I wasn't feeling it. It didn't feel right staring in my wife's face and knowing I had her ex in my basement slowly dying.

Don't be such a p-ssy. She deserves it, a dark voice in my head suddenly opinionated. I shook my head to tell the voice 'no.' What I did was the worst thing I've ever done in my life. Tessa was probably down there scared sh-tless. "You're not okay," Athena asked worriedly. She reached across the table and grabbed my shaking hand. "Kai, I'm here. I love you. It's okay," she told me softly.

The slightest smile came upon my face. It was nice to know that she loved me, but it was hard to believe. Who could love someone like me? I wasn't meant for someone to love. I was destructive and I've been a f-ck up since I was born. My jaw clenched and my eyes looked back down to the yummy plate that anyone else would love to have in front of them.

Not me. My stomach turned and I wanted to vomit. First, I give head to Athena's sister, then I threatened her sister and now I'm holding a hospital patient hostage. What the hell was truly going on? Now that Athena finally wanted to make things right, I was all wrong.

"If this is about the Sage thing, it hurts but I forgive you. We took off our rings and I told you that you could have sex with whomever you wanted to. I guess I forgot to knock out my siblings from the equation, but it's okay. As long as you love me and as long as you care, I'm okay. Do you hear me, Kai? I'm your wife and I wear this ring proudly." I licked my lips and smiled a bit more when my eyes met Athena's. She really was trying. Now all I had to do was get this stupid, depressed bug out of me before things went even more south.

When Athena saw me smile, a satisfied grin came upon her gorgeous face. "Now, eat up," she told me as if I was Maddox or Aspen.

My wife and I ate our food and drank our wine with casual conversation. It was nothing too entertaining or in depth. We both just wanted to feel like an actual couple. Ask each other about each other's day and talk about the weather, something normal for once. When I told Athena about my day, of course I had to lie. I told her that I was hanging out with Franco all day, when I was really torturing her ex-girlfriend. She seemed to believe me but I felt bad for lying to her.

"I was talking to Ryker earlier today and he talked about how 'badass' you used to be. I told him you still were but I think you're an overall better person. Sure, you may have nearly beat Tessa to death but you didn't. You could've done it but you held yourself back. I didn't mean it when I called you a 'monster.' Things just happened so sudden and I was so upset with you and my father. My judgement was clouded, but now I know who you are. You're a woman so much better and different than your past self. You're always calling me your angel, but you're mine. You're the one always making sure I'm taken care of and protected, ever since the start. I love you for that, Kai. I love you for changing. It's obvious to tell you're going through a funk right now but I believe in you."