☾ 22

Here I was, once again, stepping on Chicago soil to take care of yet another enemy that wanted to take me down. I've done this countless of times, so many that I can't even remember some instances. The number of people I had to kill to save my own life was sure to be in the hundreds. There was so much blood on my hands from all the lives I've taken. Some of my victims faces appeared in my mind some nights. It was haunting and I wasn't proud of my body count. I just had to do what needed to be done and I hoped when I finally died rather it'd be my someone else's hand or by old age that I would be understood.

This was supposed to be my last ride in Chicago. One final time to get everyone to travel my name through the streets. One last time to show the people against me that I wasn't a force to be reckoned with. Gertrude was going to get it and she was going to wish that she had never ran back into me. She's going to wish she never threatened taking my wife and kids away from me. Before she drew her last breath, I wanted to see nothing but fear and regret in her eyes. Kai West was back in town for one final show, and I was going to make it the most vicious, and remarkable show in history.

"Welcome back, kid." Standing outside of the airport was Franco in an all black suit with a tie. It was similar to the one that I was wearing, except I went tieless. We arrived back in Chicago just in time to make it to Giovanni's funeral. I hated funerals and the last thing I wanted was to see such a young corpse in a casket, but I had to pay my respects. He had died before his time because of me. I had to be there.

We all piled in the Range Rover, that was the same color as all of our suits and some would say my soul. No one said a word as Franco drove towards the church where the funeral was being held. Everyone's face was grave and melancholy. There wasn't anything that could make us smile at the moment. My heart felt dark and heavy for Giovanni but also from losing my wife as well. She may not be gone forever, but it still hurt as if she was. It was like I lost two people in my life.

The crying. The tears of Giovanni's family members. His mother falling all over his casket. Having to see his brothers hold up his sisters that just couldn't fathom they're youngest sibling gone. The feeling of Giovanni's cold flesh when I touched his arm. How lifeless he looked in the casket in his tailored suit. All I could say to him was how sorry I was. I don't think I cried so hard except for when my grandmother died. The way his mom looked at me. She looked at me as if I was the devil himself.

I couldn't blame her. All I could imagine was me being in her position, and Maddox being in Giovanni's condition. I would kill me if I was her. She was a bigger woman than I was though. Unlike me, she wasn't a heartless, drug-handling killer. She knew how to forgive but I doubt she would ever forget me. I didn't kill her son personally, but I was the reason. I was the reason for everything horrible. Athena not wanting me. Giovanni dying. My parents dying. Everything. It was in my blood to fuck shit up. No matter how hard I tried to change, it was in my DNA. It was like a genetic condition. I couldn't help it.

When they put him in the ground, I walked away. I went back to my place with Franco, and everyone else. The house was quiet, even though there were so many of my crew members there. Everyone was grieving for Giovanni. "Is it a bad time to ask about the game plan," Franco asked me as he scratched at the back of his neck. I rolled my eyes and walked into the kitchen. Instead of answering right away, I poured myself a glass of whiskey.

"Gertrude really has it out for you and everyone you know. I don't think anyone's safe so if you have anyone you're worried about then I suggest you get them out of Chicago," Franco continued.
I took a gulp from the glass cup and then grimaced. How did Franco still do this? He's been doing this longer than me. He's killed twice as many people. Suffered twice as many losses. How? He was stronger than I could ever be.