☾ 12

A few days went past. Chicago was the longest we've ever stayed in one location and I didn't think we were leaving anytime soon. There was a lot of catching up to do and everyone was left in the dark. Kai hadn't contacted anyone and wouldn't allow anyone to see her. It was obvious where she was at. She was at her old home, but anytime anyone went by, her little gangster friends wouldn't let anyone in, not even Jamal, Jett, Phoenix or Charlie. It was like she was pushing us all away.

As each day grew by, I felt guiltier. It was my fault that she was blocking everyone out. I shouldn't have kissed Tessa in front of her, or in front of anyone in that matter. My lips shouldn't have been on another woman in the first place. I've been pushing Kai away for so long. I had missed her so much, but as soon as she came back into my life, it was like I didn't give her a chance. It wasn't that I didn't want to, but it was just that I was so hurt. My emotions got the best of me every time.

I sat in the hotel room with my children. Aspen was ranting to me about what she wanted to do for the day. I had just gotten her dressed so of course, she was ready to go on an adventure. According to her, she wanted to go to the zoo, the mall, the museum and finally outer space. I wasn't in the mood to really go anywhere, especially not outer space. Maddox sat as far away from us as possible. He hadn't said much to me the past few days. No matter how much I tried to talk to him or make him smile, he'd just ignore me. He missed Kai. I needed to find a way to get her back.

If she was willing to, I was ready to be serious and take another try with our relationship. At first, she was the reason our marriage was tumbling down but now I was at fault. We promised that we'd be with each other through thick and thin. Both of us had let each other down in that promise, and many more, but that didn't mean we couldn't redeem ourselves. It was time for me to be an adult and just push away the past and focus on the future. I doubted Kai wanted anything to do with me now that I came to my senses, although.

A knock on the door stopped Aspen from her chatter and knocked me out of my stupor. I stood up and walked towards the hotel room. I made sure that I looked through the peephole. Being in Chicago was dangerous, especially if Kai had gotten herself back into the drug game. On the other side, I saw Sage. She was standing there with her arms crossed and she seemed pretty upset. "Uh hey," I said once I opened the door wide open. She looked up from the floor and up to me.

"Hey. Have you-have you heard from Kai," she asked worriedly. Why did she care if I heard from Kai or not? It's not like she was her wife. "It's just that no one is even talking about her. It's like she just disappeared and honestly I'm worried. Aren't you? She is your wife, Athena. The mother of your kids."

I rolled my eyes at Sage. She was being overly dramatic. Kai wasn't talking to anyone because she didn't want to. It was obvious that she was still breathing but just didn't want to be bothered. "She's fine. Jamal went by yesterday and no one would let him in. They said Kai was fine but didn't want company. She's just angry right now," I told my younger sister nonchalantly.

"Well, where is she? Maybe I can get her to talk," Sage suggested. Her eyes lit up a bit at knowing that Kai was truly okay. I rolled my eyes at her. If she wanted to go to Kai's place and get her feelings hurt then f-ck it.

"Here, I'll give you the address," I told her as I walked back into my room. I grabbed a pen and a piece of paper and began scribbling down Kai's address. When I gave it to Sage, she thanked me with a smile and went on her little adventure. God. She was stupid. If Kai didn't want anything to do with Jamal or any of her other friends then she sure as hell didn't want anything to do with Sage.

-

I sat in my room with the music blasting as I finished off my fifth joint for the day. My vision was cloudy and my mind was racing uncontrollably. "No more smoking today," I told myself, but I knew I wouldn't listen. Smoking and drinking were the only things getting me through life at the moment. I couldn't show my face to my kids because they probably hated me, and my wife didn't want anything to do with me so my life was basically a waste.