☾ 24

Speaking to my family gave me peace of mind, even if our conversation only lasted a few moments. Hearing the excitement in Maddox's voice to talk to me meant everything to me. After all of the arguing with Athena and me constantly leaving, I was happy that my son didn't hate me. As for Aspen, she was too young to know what was going on but it still meant a lot to hear her jumble her words together to talk to me. Knowing that my family was safe overall gave me a sense that everything was going to be okay. Sure, Athena may have cheated on me but I couldn't blame her. Right now, I wasn't being a very good wife and neither was she. That's why we were going to get counseling as soon as I got back to Florida. We were going to finally make things right so we could be a normal, satisfied family.

My family meant the world to me but I had to erase them from my mind. For now, I had to be focused on finding a plan to take down Gert and anyone else that was on her side. She was my primary focus. If I didn't keep my attention on her then I would be as good as dead. I knew she was working up a plan to kill me at the very moment, so I had to cook up a plan to counteract her. Some of my members were out trying to find any dirt that they could on Gert, but she was like a ghost. She was working in the shadows and not letting people know about what she had going on. If anyone was a part of her crew then they were keeping quiet.

It surprised me how much authority she had over her crew. She had too much control over them for her to just start gathering a crew fresh out of jail. The whole time she was in prison, she had to be gathering followers and plotting against me. Finding Gert was the most complicated thing that I ever had to endure. She had came to me in Hawaii and warned me that she was going to kill me and take my family from me but now she was nowhere to be found. I knew she wouldn't make such a serious threat just to be f-cking with me. Some randoms just didn't kill Giovanni. I knew it was Gert's doing. I had to find her and end her. The only person I knew that could help me find Gert was someone that I didn't want to speak to. Emily.

I stared at my phone, going over whether I should call her or not. Her and Gert supposedly had a thing going but it couldn't be that serious. Gert talked about taking Athena away from me so obviously she didn't love Emily. What they had going on was most likely a fling. Emily and I actually had history, no matter how much I wanted to forget it. She could really help me out. No matter rather I liked it or not, I had to swallow my pride and call her. The worst thing she could do was not pick up her phone.

Grabbing my phone and finding her name in the contacts was a true struggle. It took me a whole hour to gather the courage. I distracted myself by searching stupid sh-t on the Internet or by watching dumb videos. Finally, I took a deep breath and tapped her name. The call button was pressed and I put the phone up to my ear.

The phone rung for what felt like ages. After just the first ring, I wanted to hang up the phone and give up but something told me to at least see if she would answer. "Kai?"

"Emily...how are you?" I had to at least attempt to start a natural conversation. If I just asked her right off the jump where Gert was or what her plan was then I wasn't going to get any answer. An exhale came from Emily as if she was already bored or annoyed by the conversation. "I was just thinking about-"

"Don't lie to me and don't try to act nice. You want information on Gert. You want me to rat her out but tell me why would I want to do that? Why would I help you out of all people, Kai? To be quite honest, if anyone that I knew had to die I'd rather it be you than anyone else." Emily spoke to me with nothing but venom. Maybe she and Gert were more serious than I actually thought or maybe she just really hated my guts. Either way, I wasn't hanging up the phone until I got some information.

"Emily, you have to understand that my life isn't the only one that's on the line, so is my family's. I have children, friends and in-laws that are innocent and don't deserve to be hurt. Yes, I'll admit, I've been a f-cked up person in the past. To this day, I still do some pretty f-cked up sh-t but you know that I'd never go after someone else's family. You know that. You know that Gert is in way over her head. You know that she's wrong and that she's hit a new low. You have to help me stop her, Emily. She doesn't even care about you. After she kills me, she wants to go after Athena."