Chapter 10

Tanjiro's P.O.V. 

I have finally done it. I finally cut the boulder. It took six months of grueling training but I have done it. 

Once I got over my shock, I looked around for Sabito and Makomo to thank them but they were nowhere in sight. 

'Huh? Did they leave? I didn't even get to thank them for all they've done for me. I guess I can thank them the next time I see them.'

When I didn't see them I started heading back to the house to tell Urokodaki that I had cut the boulder. However, he was already behind me. 

"Urokodaki-sensi..."

"I had no intention of sending you to the Final Selection."

'What he didn't want me to go?'

"I didn't want to see any more children die. I was sure you wouldn't be able to slice the boulder, but..." he said and then patted my head.

'I see. He's probably lost pupils in the past.'

"Well done, my boy. Tanjiro, you're... a remarkable kid." I tear up and then he hugs me.

"Make sure you come back alive from the Final Selection. I will be awaiting your return." He told me and then he started walking back to the house.

"Wait what about Nezuko? Won't she be waiting with you as well?" I asked as I followed him.

"You'll have to ask her yourself," he told me.

We got back to the house and saw that Nezuko was preparing dinner.

"Wow... What's the occasion, Nezuko? There's so much." 

"Well you've completed all your training, so we're celebrating," Nezuko said.

"She's right. Don't be shy. Eat up." Urokodaki said.

"Thank you, both, very much!" I said as Urokodaki handed me a bowl. 

Nezuko's P.O.V.

"Nezuko, how did you know I completed my training?" Tanjiro asked.

"Oh, it's simple. I heard you and Urokodaki-sensei talking on you're way back."

'Not a complete lie but not the whole truth either. I already knew today was the day he would cut the boulder. However, I also heard their conversation. So, technically I didn't lie.' 

Once we finished eating Tanjiro asked me if I could cut his hair.

"Hey Nezuko, could you cut my hair for me?" 

"Awe, but I like your hair long." 

"I know but it will get in the way." 

"But..." I said giving him a pouty face. He could never resist my pouty face.

"Okay, how about this, cut it enough to where I can still put it up. So to about the length it was before Tomioka cut it. Will that work?" 

"Yay!" 

While I was cutting Tanjiro's hair I asked him how the food was.

"Hey, Tanjiro..." 

"Yes?" 

"Did you enjoy the hot pot?" I asked.

"I did. We haven't had such a feast in a long time."

"I'm glad you enjoyed it," I told him. Urokodaki then started to speak.

"A growing boy like you with a hearty appetite should get stronger the more he eats, as well as grow bigger in size. But that goes for demons, too. Remember this. Basically, a demon is as strong as the number of humans he's devoured."