Chapter 6 : Touch

I got ready and headed out for college, meeting up with my friends along the way. We all groaned about the upcoming test. "I'm so not prepared for this," I complained, knowing they felt the same way.

"Join the club," Lila said, rolling her eyes. "We're all in the same boat."

We walked into the classroom and waited for the professor. When he finally arrived and handed out the tests, the room fell silent. I focused, determined to do my best. It felt like an eternity, but I finally finished, probably about fifth to last. Relieved, I headed to work.

At the bookstore, I met with friendly customers, offering book recommendations and enjoying the interactions. It was a nice distraction from the stress of school. Once my shift ended, I went home, eager to unwind. I took a quick shower and changed into comfortable clothes. Since it was Monday, it was my turn to take out the trash.

I brought the trash to the dumpster behind the building, then headed back up in the elevator. As the doors were closing, he slipped in behind me. I greeted him, but he responded with the same cold, distant tone. I decided not to dwell on it.

When I went to press the button for the third floor, I felt his finger brush against mine as we both reached for the elevator button.A shock ran through my body, a sensation I'd never felt before. It was as if a bolt of electricity surged from his touch, leaving my skin tingling. Startled, I looked up to see his unfazed gaze. I quickly moved my finger away and apologized.

He said nothing, and we waited in silence. When we reached the third floor, he stepped out first. I followed, noticing an elegant wallet fall from his pocket. I went to call his name but realized I didn't know it, and he probably didn't know mine. I picked up the wallet and hurried after him.

"Excuse me!" I called out. He turned, a confused look on his face.

"Your wallet fell," I said, handing it to him.

"Thank you," he replied, his tone still emotionless. But when our hands touched, that electric shock returned, even more intense than before. It was as if his touch ignited a fire in my veins, sending warmth and a strange excitement through me. I looked up and saw a fleeting spark in his eyes, almost like he felt it too, but then his gaze turned cold again.

"What's your name?" I asked, curious.

He hesitated. "Enzo."

"I'm Noralee," I said, smiling. The corners of his mouth lifted slightly, almost a smile.

"Goodbye, Noralee," he said, as he entered his apartment.

I went into my apartment next door, my mind racing with thoughts of our interaction and the strange sensation I felt when we touched. To distract myself, I folded laundry and binged on a Netflix series. But no matter how hard I tried, I couldn't stop thinking about Enzo and the way it felt to touch him.