Chapter 27: Father

The closer Enzo's 28th birthday got, the more he stayed at his office, working overnight. It worried me. Yesterday, he had left early, heading home from work, only to call me an hour later.

"Hey, Noralee," his voice sounded strained through the phone. "I left an important document on my desk. Could you grab it for me?"

"Of course," I replied without hesitation.

Enzo texted me the firm's address and his office number. I quickly found the document and headed to his office. As I walked into the firm, I felt a bit out of place, but I pushed through, determined to help him.

The law firm was an imposing building in the heart of downtown. Tall glass windows reflected the city skyline, and the entrance was marked by a sleek, modern sign bearing the firm's name in bold letters. Inside, the lobby was spacious and tastefully decorated, with marble floors, contemporary art pieces, and a large reception desk staffed by efficient-looking people. The atmosphere exuded professionalism and sophistication.

I took the elevator to the top floor, where Enzo's office was located. The executive floor was quieter, with thick carpets that muffled footsteps and elegant wood paneling that gave it a refined, almost old-world charm. I followed the signs to his office, feeling a bit of nervous excitement.

When I reached his floor and walked into his office, I saw the stress and exhaustion etched on his face. His eyes lit up when he saw me, and I couldn't help but smile back.

Enzo's office was spacious and well-organized, with a large mahogany desk dominating the center of the room. Bookshelves lined the walls, filled with legal texts and reference materials. A couple of leather armchairs sat in front of his desk, and a small couch was placed near the window, offering a view of the bustling city below. The overall feel of the office was both imposing and comfortable, a reflection of Enzo's meticulous nature and his high standing in the firm.

I walked over to him, kissing his lips softly. "You look extremely tired," I said, handing him the document.

"Thank you," he sighed, taking it from me. "I know, I shouldn't be careless and leave things I need at home."

"Yeah, you really shouldn't," I teased. "Especially when it means I have to come to your office."

He smirked, pulling me closer. "Honestly, the document isn't that important. I just wanted to see you."

I rolled my eyes playfully. "Well, mission accomplished," I said, leaning in for another kiss.

Before I could leave, the door to his office swung open, and a man in his 60s stood there. Enzo looked up and huffed.

"Are you really fooling around, Enzo? I thought you knew better," the man said, his voice dripping with disdain.

"Just one break, Father," Enzo said, frustration evident in his tone. "I've been working since yesterday. I'm not fooling around."

Realizing this was his father, I felt a pang of nervousness. The man looked me over, his expression one of clear disapproval. "Brought one of your whores to work? Real professional," he said mockingly.

Enzo stood up from his chair, his hands slamming down on the desk. "Don't you dare speak to her that way. Have some respect."

His father seemed taken aback by Enzo raising his voice. "Who is she?" he asked, clearly not amused.

Enzo's eyes softened as he looked at me. "She's my girlfriend," he said, making my cheeks flush.

His father raised an eyebrow in surprise. "Well, hurry up. We have a meeting soon. Don't be late," he said, before turning and leaving the room.

Enzo, still visibly angry, turned to me. "I'm so sorry about that," he said, his voice softer now.

"It's okay," I replied, kissing him gently. "I know you have to go. We'll talk later."

That night, I lay in bed, trying to sleep, but my mind kept replaying the encounter with Enzo's father. I heard the door open and saw Enzo walk in, looking utterly exhausted. He took off his shirt and pants before climbing into bed with me.

"Hey," he whispered, wrapping his arms around me.

"Hey," I replied, snuggling closer to him. "Rough day?"

"Yeah," he sighed, pressing a kiss to my forehead. "I'm sorry about earlier."

"Don't worry about it," I said, running my fingers through his hair. "Just rest now."

He held me tighter, his breath evening out as he started to relax.

We fell asleep wrapped in each other's arms, the world outside forgotten.