Chapter 1: Beginnings

I sat on the edge of my bed, staring at the boxes scattered around my room. The walls, once covered with posters and photographs, now looked bare. Gemma's departure had left a void, not just in the apartment but in my life as well. We had shared this space for the past three years, and now she was moving in with her boyfriend after dating for two years, leaving me to figure out how to afford the rent on my own.

Rent in the Boston was expensive, and as a college student in my final year, I didn't have the funds to cover the full amount. I had spent the last week looking for a new place, visiting apartments, and sending out inquiries. The responses were either no replies or polite rejections. I was starting to lose hope.

My phone buzzed, pulling me out of my thoughts. It was a message from Rory.

"Hey Nora! Any luck with the apartment hunt?"

I sighed and typed back quickly, "No luck yet. Everything is either too expensive or already taken."

A few moments later, my phone buzzed again. "I might know a good place. My cousin owns a place downtown and he's looking for a tenant. It's a little expensive but Im sure he would lower the price since we're close. Interested?"

My heart skipped a beat. This was the first good news I'd had in days. "Absolutely! Can you put me in touch with him?"

"Already did. He'll call you in a few minutes."

True to his word, my phone rang almost immediately. The voice on the other end was friendly, and after a brief conversation, I had an appointment to see the apartment the next day. I could hardly believe my luck.

The following morning, I made my way downtown, my heart pounding with anticipation. The building was charming. I was greeted by Rory's cousin, Ethan, a short man with an easy smile. He showed me around, pointing out the quirks and features of the apartment. It was big and cozy with clean and sparkly floors and walls.

"I know it's not much," Ethan said, "but with a little love, it could be a great place."

I nodded, already picturing how I would arrange my things, the curtains I would hang, the colors I would choose for the walls. It was perfect, and a good start. And right now, that's all I needed.

"I'll take it," I said, smiling at Ethan. He handed me the keys, and just like that, my new beginning had begun.