Chapter 31: Start Of The Tunnel

Enzo's POV

My office at the firm felt more like a pressure cooker than a workspace. The phones rang incessantly, the buzz of conversations a constant backdrop. I sat at my desk, surrounded by a fortress of legal documents. My eyes burned from lack of sleep, and the bitter taste of lukewarm coffee lingered in my mouth.

The door swung open, and my father strode in, his face a mask of stern determination. "Enzo, we cannot afford to lose this case," he said, his voice laced with authority and urgency. "The future of the firm depends on it."

"I know, Dad," I replied, suppressing a surge of frustration. "I'm doing everything I can."

"Make sure you do," he said sharply, his words a heavy weight on my shoulders.

As he left, I sighed deeply, running a hand through my hair. The pressure was suffocating. I glanced at the clock-8 PM. Noralee would be waiting for me.

Back at our apartment, Noralee had set the table for dinner. The sight of her hopeful face as I walked through the door at 10 PM filled me with guilt.

"Hey," I greeted her wearily, dropping my briefcase by the door.

"Hey," she replied, concern evident in her eyes. "I kept dinner warm for you."

I nodded absently, sitting down and picking at my food. The silence between us was thick with unspoken words.

Finally, Noralee broke the silence. "Enzo, we need to talk."

"About what?" I asked, not looking up from my plate.

"About you. About us," she said, her voice shaking slightly. "You've been so distant lately. I hardly see you anymore."

"I'm under a lot of pressure at work," I replied defensively. "This case is critical."

"I understand that," she said, her frustration evident. "But you can't shut me out. I feel like I'm losing you."

"I don't have a choice, Noralee," I snapped. "I have to focus on this case."

Her eyes filled with tears. "So, what? I'm supposed to just sit here and wait while you work yourself to death?"

I rubbed my temples, feeling the weight of the day pressing down on me. "I don't know what you want from me." I start to hate myself for making her cry.

"I want you to be here," she said softly. "I want us to be a team."

The next few days were a blur of deadlines and court appearances. The setback in the case hit me hard, and my father's harsh criticism only added to the stress.

I buried myself in work, staying late into the night. The office became my sanctuary and my prison. Every time I thought about going home, the weight of the case kept me tethered to my desk.

Back at the apartment, Noralee's absence was a constant ache. She tried to reach out, but I was always too busy or too tired. I could see the pain in her eyes, but I felt powerless to change anything.

One night, I came home even later than usual. Noralee was waiting for me, her eyes red from crying.

"Enzo, Can we talk" she said, her voice firm.

"I'm really tired, Noralee," I replied, feeling a wave of frustration. "Can't this wait?"

"No, it can't," she insisted. "This can't go on. You're shutting me out, and I can't take it anymore."

My temper flared. "You think I want this? You think I enjoy being under this kind of pressure? I'm doing this for us, for our future."

"But at what cost?" she shot back. "You're losing yourself, and you're losing me."

Her words hit me like a punch to the gut. I felt a pang of guilt but was too stubborn to admit it. "I don't know what to do," I said quietly.

"I do," she said, tears streaming down her face. "I'm going to stay with a friend for a few days. Maybe some space will help."

I watched helplessly as she packed a small bag and left the apartment, the door closing with a finality that echoed in the silence.

Noralee found solace at her friend Jenna's apartment. Jenna welcomed her with open arms, offering a shoulder to cry on and words of comfort.

"You're doing the right thing," Jenna assured her. "Sometimes, space is what you need to find clarity."

Noralee nodded, though her heart ached. She missed me, but she knew we couldn't go on like this.

Back at the law firm, I sat in my office, staring blankly at the documents in front of me. The silence was deafening, and for the first time, I realized how much I missed Noralee, how much I needed her. The case was important, but it wasn't worth losing her.

I picked up my phone and dialed her number. It rang several times before she answered.

"Nora, it's me," I said, my voice soft. "I'm sorry. I've been an idiot."

There was a long pause. "Enzo, I miss you," she said finally. "But I need to know that things will be different."

"They will be," I promised. "I'll make sure of it. Can we meet and talk?"

She hesitated, then agreed. "Okay. Let's talk."

As I hung up, I felt a glimmer of hope. I was determined to make things right, to prove that our love was stronger than any case or job. The road ahead wouldn't be easy, but I was ready to fight for our future together.