Chapter 10 : Cooking Together

The weekend had arrived, bringing a much-needed break from the stresses of college and work. The memory of being stuck in the elevator with Enzo lingered in my mind, and I found myself thinking about him more than I cared to admit. As a way of thanking him for his help, I decided to invite him over for dinner. It was a bold move, but something about our conversation during the storm made me want to know him better.

I took a deep breath and knocked on his door. It opened to reveal Enzo, looking as cool and composed as ever.

"Hey," I said, suddenly feeling a bit nervous. "I was wondering if you'd like to come over for dinner tonight. Just as a thank you for the other night."

He raised an eyebrow, his expression unreadable. "Dinner, huh? Sure, why not?"

"Great!" I said, relieved. "Come over around seven?"

He nodded. "See you then."

I spent the next few hours preparing, making sure everything was perfect. At seven on the dot, there was a knock at my door. I opened it to find Enzo, looking effortlessly handsome in a casual shirt and jeans.

"Come in," I said, stepping aside to let him in.

"Smells good," he commented, looking around.

"Thanks," I said. "I thought we could cook together. It might be fun."

He looked a bit surprised but nodded. "Sure."

We moved to the kitchen, and I handed him an apron. "Here, put this on. Wouldn't want to ruin that nice shirt."

He took the apron and tied it around his waist, his movements precise and controlled. "Yes ma'am " he replied , his tone jokingly.

"We're making pasta from scratch," I said, trying to keep the atmosphere light. "Have you ever done that before?"

He shook his head. "No, but I'm willing to learn."

We started cooking, and I quickly realized that Enzo was surprisingly skilled in the kitchen. As we chopped vegetables and stirred sauces, our hands would occasionally brush against each other. Each touch sent a jolt of electricity through me, making my heart race.

At one point, I reached for a spice jar at the same time he did. Our fingers collided, and I felt a shiver run down my spine. "Sorry," I mumbled, feeling my cheeks heat up.

"No problem," he said, his voice steady. His eyes met mine for a moment, and I felt an undeniable spark between us.

We continued cooking, the atmosphere growing more relaxed, though Enzo remained somewhat reserved. He shared a few stories, I told him funny anecdotes from my college years, trying to coax a smile out of him.

As we worked together, the kitchen became filled with the aroma of delicious food and the sound of our quiet conversation. At one point, I accidentally spilled some sauce on my apron, and Enzo reached out to wipe it off, his touch lingering a bit longer than necessary.

"You're a mess," he said, his tone light but his expression still guarded.

"Hey, I'm the chef here," I retorted, laughing softly. "You're just the assistant."

"Is that so?" he said, stepping closer. "Well, this assistant might need to take over, considering your clumsiness."

I felt a playful challenge in his words and decided to push back. "Oh really? Let's see if you can handle this, then."

We continued cooking, our movements becoming more synchronized. The occasional accidental touch and the shared activity created an intimate atmosphere that made my heart flutter.

Finally, the meal was ready, and we sat down to eat. The food was delicious, but what I savored most was the quiet connection that seemed to be growing between us.

"Thanks for inviting me over," Enzo said as we finished eating. "This was... nice."

"Yeah, it was," I agreed, feeling a warmth spread through me.

As he got up to leave, our hands brushed once more. This time, neither of us pulled away immediately. We stood there for a moment, eyes locked, the unspoken attraction between us palpable.

"Good night, Noralee," he said softly, his voice filled with an unfamiliar warmth.

"Good night, Enzo," I replied, my heart racing as I closed the door behind him.

I leaned against the door, a smile spreading across my face. Tonight had been perfect, and I couldn't help but feel that this was just the beginning of something special.