Chapter 9 : A Stormy Night

The weather forecast had been warning about a storm all day, but I hadn't thought much of it until I left the campus. Dark clouds loomed overhead, and the wind had picked up, making the walk to my car feel like a battle against nature. By the time I reached the apartment building, fat raindrops had begun to fall, and thunder rumbled ominously in the distance.

As I entered the lobby, the lights flickered. I hurried to the elevator, hoping to make it to my apartment before the storm really hit. The elevator doors were just about to close when a hand reached in and stopped them. I looked up to see Enzo stepping in.

"Hey," I said, my voice sounding unusually small in the confined space.

"Hey," he replied, his tone as cool and detached as ever.

We rode in silence, the tension between us almost palpable. Suddenly, the elevator jolted to a stop, and the lights went out, plunging us into darkness.

"Great," I muttered, trying to keep the panic out of my voice. "A power outage."

"Looks like it," Enzo said, sounding surprisingly calm.

I fumbled for my phone and turned on the flashlight. The dim light cast long shadows on the walls, making the small space feel even more claustrophobic.

"Do you think they'll get it fixed soon?" I asked, hoping he had some reassurance to offer.

"Hard to say," he replied. "But let's see if there's an emergency button."

He moved closer, reaching past me to press the button on the panel. His arm brushed against mine, and I felt that now-familiar jolt of electricity at his touch. The emergency button lit up briefly, then went dark again. No response.

"Looks like we're stuck here for a while," he said, his voice steady.

We sat down on the floor of the elevator, the silence heavy around us. I tried to make small talk to break the awkwardness. "So, do you live alone?"

"Yeah," he replied. "Just me. You?"

"I used to have a roommate, but she moved out recently," I said. "It's been an adjustment, but I'm getting used to it."

The conversation lulled again, and I decided to take a chance. "Can I ask you something?"

"Sure," he said, looking at me with a curious expression.

"Why do you always seem so... distant?" I asked, choosing my words carefully. "I mean, you're not exactly unfriendly, but there's something about you that feels... guarded."

He sighed, running a hand through his hair. "I guess I am guarded. It's just... easier that way. Less complicated."

I nodded, understanding more than I expected. "Yeah, I get that. Life can be pretty complicated as it is."

We continued talking, sharing bits and pieces of our lives. The more we talked, the more I saw a different side of him. He wasn't just the cold, distant neighbor I thought he was. There was depth to him, layers that I hadn't expected.

Hours passed, and finally, the power came back on. The elevator lurched back to life, and we both stood up, ready to leave the confined space. As we reached our floor, Enzo helped me out of the elevator, his hand on my arm steadying me.

"Thanks," I said, grateful for his support.

"No problem," he replied. "Good night, Noralee."

"Good night, Enzo," I said, feeling a strange warmth at the sound of his name.

As I entered my apartment, I couldn't help but think about our conversation. For the first time, I felt like I had glimpsed the real Enzo, the man behind the cold exterior. It was a small step, but it felt significant. I went to bed that night with a new sense of curiosity and a flicker of something else-something that felt a lot like hope.