Not Too Cynical

As the city lights streaked past them, N broke the silence, his voice hesitant. "Do you think your dad liked me?"

Uzi hesitated for a moment, searching for the right words. "Well, he's... traditional. It might have taken him some time to warm up to you."

N's grip tightened slightly on the steering wheel. "So, that was a 'no,' then?"

Uzi sighed, deciding to drop the pretense. "Look, N, my dad could be a real jackass sometimes. He judged you based on some outdated idea of who's 'worthy' of being with me. It wasn't fair to you."

The tension in N's jaw was palpable as his eyes remained fixed on the road ahead. "I'm used to it," he muttered, the weight of years of disapproval evident in his voice.

Noticing the change in his demeanor, Uzi felt a pang of frustration. "N, it wasn't your fault. You had nothing to prove to him, or anyone else for that matter."

N's grip on the wheel loosened a little, but the tension remained. "I know, it was just hard to shake off."

Reaching over, Uzi placed her hand on his. "Hey, focus on the positives, okay? My Aunt Alice seemed to like you, and you definitely made an impression on Beau. You made that little kid smile tonight. That's gotta count for something."

N glanced over at her, a faint smile tugging at the corners of his mouth. "Yeah, Beau was pretty cool. I'm glad I could connect with him."

"And you did," Uzi assured him, her voice soft. "You were kind and thoughtful, N. Don't let my dad's narrow-mindedness make you forget that."

N's smile grew a little wider, her words offering him a small but significant comfort. "Thanks, Uzi. That means a lot."

Uzi squeezed his hand reassuringly. "Anytime, N. Just remember, you are more than good enough, okay?"

N nodded, a grateful warmth spreading through him as they continued driving through the night, the city lights illuminating their path forward.

* * *

As the evening wore on, Khan found himself seated across from Alice in the comfort of his study. The room, filled with the rich scent of aged leather and mahogany, served as a reflection of Khan's own self-importance.

"I just don't understand, Alice," Khan began, frustration evident in his voice. "That boy, N, he's just not right for Uzi. Did you see the way he couldn't even maintain eye contact?"

Alice raised an eyebrow, her expression unimpressed. "Khan, not making eye contact doesn't mean someone's a bad person. Some people are just more comfortable that way. It doesn't make them disrespectful."

Khan waved her concern away dismissively. "It's a sign of disrespect, Alice. Back in my day, children were taught to look their elders in the eye."

Alice sighed, trying to reason with her stubborn brother-in-law. "Times have changed, Khan. And perhaps N has some challenges that make eye contact difficult for him. Did you ever consider that he might be neurodivergent?"

Khan scoffed, clearly not entertained by Alice's suggestion. "Neuro-what now? Alice, I'm talking about common decency, not spells from Harry Pothead or whatever his name is. That boy is clearly a bad influence on Uzi."

Alice shook her head, her patience wearing thin. "Khan, you can't judge someone based on such trivial things. N seemed like a kind young man, and he clearly cares for Uzi. Ain't that what's most important?"

Khan leaned back in his chair, crossing his arms. "Well, I just don't trust him. He's hiding something, mark my words."

Alice sighed, realizing that her attempts to reason with Khan were falling on deaf ears. "Khan, you need to give N a chance. Uzi's an adult, and she can make her own decisions."